• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer won't start at times

Explorerdad

Reaction score
City, State
Salisbury, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
I am having an intermitant starting problem with my daughters 94 Explorer and would like some help. She will shut the truck off and then come back to find that it will not start. It turns over but will not fire. She can usually wait 5 to 10 minutes and try again and the truck will start. Has anyone run into this kind of an issue? I suspect that the ignition switch may be bad but would like another opinion.

Explorer Dad :usa:

You need to determine if the problem if fuel or spark related. When you turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump prime/run for a second or two. If not, then it's a fuel delivery problem. If you do hear it, then you check for spark.

Check to see if there is a check engine light on the dashboard when you turn the key to the accessory position. If not, then your computer is not turning on. If the computer doesn't turn on, then the fuel pump won't turn on either. Check you fuel pump relay, pcm relay, ground connections, and fuses. If you have no spark, it could be your crankshaft position sensor, coil pack, wires, spark plugs, or ignition module. Connect a scanner onto it to see if there are any codes stored in the system.

Back