• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer wont start

Danimal86

Reaction score
City, State
sac town
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Well, i was getting ready to go to work today, and my explorer wouldn't start. it would just keep cranking. i waited a min, and then it would start up.....a couple min later tried to restart, and it would just keep cranking....i just had the fuel pump replaced two years ago....what are some things i can check for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seem to remember years ago, on the first gen, that if you turn off the vehicle and hold down the gas pedal for about 5-7 seconds, release. It should start after that (foot off the gas pedal) Have you tried this?

That works on fuel injected cars?

..when you turn the key to the on position, do you here the fuel pump whir???

Where's that...

oh, i can't find it, but the 03 has a diff procedure for Flex Fuel where you hold down the pedal 1/3 to 1/2 way.

i just recall the manual for the first gen saying to hold the gas for a few seconds before trying to start if it's not starting.

It could be the Mass Air Flow Sensor needs to be cleaned.

what do i have to do to clean the MAF sensor?

Before you spend any $$ try a simple test. Next time it just cranks, stop trying to start it and cycle the key from off to on 2-3 times, leaving it in the on position each until you hear the fuel pump turn off. Then try and start it. If it starts easily, it's most likely either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. If it still just cranks, then start looking elsewhere.

If your fuel pump doesn't whir when you initially turn the key to the run position
(as tbars4 mentioned) it may also be a sticking fuel pump relay. In that case,
leave the key in the run position, pop the hood and tap on the fuel pump relay
until you hear a whir. The fuel pump relay is in a rectangular box - with all the other
relays, under the hood near the passenger side.

You can also try switching the FP relay with one of the other non-important ones. Also, check the inertia switch. All of these are possible problems if you don't hear the FP prime when you switch the key on. If you do hear the FP prime, check for spark.

I had the same problem with the relay fuel pump !

Like as says Mr Wizard and Tbars4, I had the same problem. My fuel pump doesn't whir when I turned the key, and then I changed the fuel pump relay by blow fan relay. At moment, it works perfectly !!. ¿ Have a some difference between the both relays or are the same ?......:rolleyes:

All six relays in my '94 Explorer are the same. (They all have exactly the same part number
marked on the top.)

"borrowed" this from the guide thread...

I seem to remember years ago, on the first gen, that if you turn off the vehicle and hold down the gas pedal for about 5-7 seconds, release. It should start after that (foot off the gas pedal) Have you tried this?

This is from the 96 manual...

If the engine does not start after two attempts:*
1. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.*
2. Press the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it.*
3. Turn the ignition key to the START position.*
4. Release the ignition key when the engine starts.*
5. Release the accelerator gradually as the engine speeds

If your fuel pump works like discussed above try replacing the 12 dollar crankshaft position sensor on the bottom of the engine behind the belt pulley. It has two wires going to it and you can see it from underneath easily. Mine was doing the same as yours - sometimes starts and sometimes it would just crank over but my I could always hear my fuel pump. Worth a try!

This is from the 96 manual...

If the engine does not start after two attempts:*
1. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.*
2. Press the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it.*
3. Turn the ignition key to the START position.*
4. Release the ignition key when the engine starts.*
5. Release the accelerator gradually as the engine speeds

That's primarily for a flooded (fuel) motor.

If you are getting fuel, check for spark. If no spark, consider replacing the crank sensor as discussed above.

I had this problem, too, in my old '94. It turns out the contacts inside the power distribution box were a little loose. Try taking your fuel pump relay off and then take another relay off. Check to see if the fuel pump relay came out more easily. If it did, that may be the issue. What worked for me was: DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, then use a screwdriver or some small pin to push the contacts closer together until the relay goes in fairly tightly.

Good luck with this problem. It's a pain in the @$$!

The theory behind this is that when the car is cool, the relays have had a chance to cool down and compact. When the relays get hot, the metal expands just slightly too mcuh and is too far out of reach to start the fuel pump again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for all the advice....its starting up well right now....if it starts acting up, i'll start messing with the fuel pump relay

Back