94 Ranger brake line routing SOLVED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ranger brake line routing SOLVED

Post number 7 has been selected as best answered.

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Just picked up a 94 Ranger. The previous owner cut and folded over the brake line coming off the master (closest to the firewall).
I don’t see the other cut end of this line. I’ve got new line and a flaring tool but don’t know where it goes.
The line on the master that is intact goes to the rear proportional valve. I believe these trucks had front wheel only ABS?

Any help would be appreciate.

Attachments

• 0F12B47A-0B09-4608-A1D1-A06A43FA74C7.jpeg
    0F12B47A-0B09-4608-A1D1-A06A43FA74C7.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,222

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just looked at my 94 Mazda(Ranger) and that line parallels the other one, both with the same bends, going down to I assume the abs unit. In my pic, the line you see coming off the master is the line you’re asking about.

I think 94 was the first year for 4wheel abs, my 93 only has rear abs. Yours def has at least rear abs.
0B15A28D-54E2-4CA5-9C70-0D25235B9F0D.jpeg

Just picked up a 94 Ranger. The previous owner cut and folded over the brake line coming off the master (closest to the firewall).
I don’t see the other cut end of this line. I’ve got new line and a flaring tool but don’t know where it goes.
The line on the master that is intact goes to the rear proportional valve. I believe these trucks had front wheel only ABS?

Any help would be appreciate.

In your picture the missing line is right below the crimp in the remaining line... unless I'm mistaken.

that is the rear brake feed, start at the frame rail under the drivers seat and you should be able to find it. Chances are it has rusted through, you may need to run all new hard lines to the rear axle

The line closest to the firewall on the master cylinder goes to the driver side front brake hose for the caliper. Then there is a brake line that connects the two front brake hoses.

Driver brake hose has two brake line ports on it. Passenger side has one brake line port on it.

I also replace the hoses when doing the lines. The hoses are about $20 each and usually in stock at the ap store. It’s much easier to work with new hoses. I did this job on my previous 93 ranger and just the other day with my Dads 97 ranger. Both have rear abs only.

The line closest to the firewall on the master cylinder goes to the driver side front brake hose for the caliper. Then there is a brake line that connects the two front brake hoses.

Driver brake hose has two brake line ports on it. Passenger side has one brake line port on it.

I also replace the hoses when doing the lines. The hoses are about $20 each and usually in stock at the ap store. It’s much easier to work with new hoses. I did this job on my previous 93 ranger and just the other day with my Dads 97 ranger. Both have rear abs only.
Thank you so much!
I traced the metal line from the drivers wheel an found it went uninterrupted to the passenger side. I expected to find a ”T” connector on that line that went to the MC but didn’t. There should be two metal lines and hoses going to the drivers Caliper?

0FB56FCD-1DE1-40B3-A9E4-ED13CA134EF5.jpeg

This is the brake line side of the front driver side hose. One port goes the the master cylinder. The other port goes to the passenger side front hose.

Badically the front driver hose is your “T connector”

There should be two metal lines and one hose for driver front caliper.

View attachment 319586

This is the brake line side of the front driver side hose. One port goes the the master cylinder. The other port goes to the passenger side front hose.

Badically the front driver hose is your “T connector”

There should be two metal lines and one hose for driver front caliper.
Thanks. It helped a lot to see the part I was looking for. I knew there had to be ”T” connection somewhere on that line. The line was cut flush with the nut and inside the frame. Could not be seen and since it was rounded off it did not feel like a brake nut.
Removed it with small pipe wrench, replaced the line to the master. Both front calipers had broken bleeders. So I ended up replacing both front calipers. Then had to bench bleed the master. Took about 9 hours all told and through some discounts Only about $40 in parts. Now have good brakes at all 4 corners and with that this thread is SOLVED!

Wow, sounds like previous owner had major frustrations with the brakes! Line cut in two places and both bleeders broken off!

Wow, sounds like previous owner had major frustrations with the brakes! Line cut in two places and both bleeders broken off!
I’m still dealing with it. Previous owner replace rear line from ABS to rear axle but for whatever reason ran the line under the frame, right where it will get ripped off first time this truck hits deep snow or anything frame hight off road. Gotta run a new line up and over. But before I do that I gotta see if the Rusty rear bleeders will open. Have them soaking in WD-40 now. If the brake or strip I may have to replace the Wheel cylinders As well.

Back