94 Sport 4x4 Dead tranny or clutch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Sport 4x4 Dead tranny or clutch?

Stock94

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT v8 4x4
Noob here, any help would be appreciated.

Details on the Exp
94 Sport
4x4 5spd

Driving up 1-75 the other day, the 94 sport died on me on the highway.
I heard a loud 'chunk' , the tranny disengaged, and I rolled to a stop on the shoulder. As I was sitting there, I could see smoke coming up from the hood.
Got it towed back to the house and have not had anyone look at it yet, as I do not have a mechanic for the exp. When I start it up now, there is some nasty grinding going on. I have not tried to engage the tranny yet.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem may be from my poor description? Is it possibly just the clutch, which seems like I may be able to do myself. I have seen clutch kits up to $400 (although from what I have read the preferred is the Luk Gold). I don't want to put $2000 in for a new tranny, and if that is what it takes, I may purchase my friends car.

Thinking about doing this myself so any advice would be great. I do have a regular floor jack. I read part of Glaciers A4LD rebuild thread which is pretty thorough, and the engine stand looks like a great idea and I will hopefully be able to use some of the info. I also read SpdRcer34 5sp tranny rebuild, but it looks like the diary is still coming.

Some of my questions would include:
How to actually pull the transmission from the tranny?(i.e. do I need a tranny jack, or are there any other suggestions?) If the clutch is bad, I'm guessing I'll be able to replace it. Is there any other parts that may be involved, especially considering there was smoke involved?

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I just don't have many tools and don't necessarily know the names of all the parts involved. Let me know if there is any information that I have left out.

Thanks,
Patrick

Sounds more like an engine problem, with the smoke from the hood and grinding on startup withing engaging the tranny. Clutch problems usually don't cause engine smoke. My first guess would be a cooling system issue, along the lines of thermostat/water pump/radiator due to the smoke and grinding sounds.

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been checking out the site, and it has inspired me to try to find out what happened! Now if I only had more time.... :roll:

Back