• Register Today It's free!

94 won't start

Drywall Guy

Reaction score
City, State
Hastings, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
1994 XLT won't start. It will crank and crank but not start. It seems to be getting fuel and spark. I just replaced the plugs and wires last night and still nothing. It started starting hard and idling rough about a week ago but when it warmed up it ran fine. Codes are 114 (intake air temp sensor out of self test range) and 116 (coolant temp sensor out of self test range). I also cleaned the MAF sensor. Would either of these sensors keep it from starting?

Thanks for any help. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site, i dont think either of those would keep it from starting....

you changed the plugs and wires and now it wont start? are you sure its actually getting fuel, have you confirmed it is indeed getting spark? did you hit the firewall with a ratchet or anything by chance? i was working on my 94 once and hit the firewall near the tranny hump.... well long story short, it tripped the vehicles inertia switch (rollover switch, kills the fuel pump)

I don't know about the air temp sensor, but the coolant temp sensor won't let you run right, it will bog the motor and cause it to stall if any gas is given. It's like $16 from AutoZone and is located in the front of the motor a little below throttle body.

I would disregard those temperature sensor codes until you get it to start. Those codes are most likely being set because the engine isn't at operating temperature when the test is performed (for the obvious reason that the engine won't run).

When you say it has spark, to me this means that you've actually seen each spark plug fire (using a timing light or other technique).
When you say it is getting fuel, to me this means that you've put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and get 40 psi KOEO.
Are both of these statements true? If not, how have you verified spark and fuel? It seems that most no starts are a result of one of those two items missing.
If those statements are true, then check that the spark plug wires are connected to the correct spark plugs and verify that the fuel injectors are firing.

Temp Sensor

From my own experience I would replace temp coolant sensor. I had a very similar prob that I was chasing for a long time while ignoring a temp sensor out of range code, turns out when trying to start the engine would read minus 40 and apparently flood the engine with gas trying to start in such cold weather. Two weeks ago I replaced the coolant temp sensor and it has started every time since. Make sure you get a coolant temp sensor not the one for the gauge.

Replace both sensors or get them both fixed. They both play a big role in how your engine runs.

Back