• Register Today It's free!

Help - 94 won't start just clicks

KURTALAN

Reaction score
City, State
INDY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 LX
My 94 will not start and acts as if the starter is out. Starter bench tests fine, replaced the starter solenoid under the hood. Just seems to not be getting enough voltage to the starter, is this possible? Should I be looking for an ingition cut-out or such. Starter doesn't even try to engage, just clicks at the solenoid by the battery. HELP

Sounds like what my BII does when the battery terminals get loose. Check cables for good connections and make sure they aren't too corroded.
It also sounds like what my Explorer did when the starter was going out. Sometimes it would start, other times it would only click the relay. I could usually get it to start by tapping the starter motor. The starter motor would bench test as good, because the fault was intermittent. Check the cables/connections first, though.

Samething is happening to my 96 X. Luckily she died outside my house yesterday after I got back from making my rounds. She's still sitting out there not wanting to start. Over the past few weeks I've swapped in a new battery, alternator & fender mounted solenoid. I've checked all my connections & they all appear to be fine. From what I've been reading, it may be the starter.

MrShorty said:
Sounds like what my BII does when the battery terminals get loose. Check cables for good connections and make sure they aren't too corroded.
It also sounds like what my Explorer did when the starter was going out. Sometimes it would start, other times it would only click the relay. I could usually get it to start by tapping the starter motor. The starter motor would bench test as good, because the fault was intermittent. Check the cables/connections first, though.

Yep, sounds like a classic problem with bad battery cables, a bad battery terminal, perhaps even a problem with the starter. Just check the connections for corrosion, if that doesn't work, then simply take your car in for a new battery or have them check your wiring too.

Roy
K&N Filter
Flowmaster

Back