94 x sport 3 problems need some help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 x sport 3 problems need some help.

Jack5219

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sport 4x4
Just bought a 94 x sport about 4 months ago has 150,000 miles. I've been working mostly on the suspension trying to get rid of a really bad vibration. Brand new monroe reflex shocks, and replaces the front and rear leaf spring shackles, repacked and tightened the wheel bearings, and had the tires balanced. The rear suspension feels good but the front feels terrible. Even a small bump and it feels like the whole front end is going to fall out. Rides good on smooth road until 65 mph and then it starts to shake. Gets worse the faster I go. By 70 mph its so bad I have to slow down.

2nd, the clutch pedal is very stiff, the guy I bought it from said it has always been that way, but it doesn't seem right. Is there any way to loosen it up?

3rd, The engine seems to be pretty sluggish. I have to give it a lot of gas in first to get it going, and its really bad on hills. Is there any way to breath some life into this old engine? Would it be a good idea to take the catalytic converter off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bought a 94 x sport about 4 months ago has 150,000 miles. I've been working mostly on the suspension trying to get rid of a really bad vibration. Brand new monroe reflex shocks, and replaces the front and rear leaf spring shackles, repacked and tightened the wheel bearings, and had the tires balanced. The rear suspension feels good but the front feels terrible. Even a small bump and it feels like the whole front end is going to fall out. Rides good on smooth road until 65 mph and then it starts to shake. Gets worse the faster I go. By 70 mph its so bad I have to slow down.

2nd, the clutch pedal is very stiff, the guy I bought it from said it has always been that way, but it doesn't seem right. Is there any way to loosen it up?

3rd, The engine seems to be pretty sluggish. I have to give it a lot of gas in first to get it going, and its really bad on hills. Is there any way to breath some life into this old engine? Would it be a good idea to take the catalytic converter off?
I can only help on the 3rd one. I think I speak for everyone that has a stock explorer that they are sluggish. Since they weigh alot it takes awhile to get it moving. I know hills are bad for me so I stay away from them. And dont cut the catalytic converter that will mess your engine up way to much.

OK i think i can offer some assist on #1, have u looked at the radius arm bushings? thes are almost completely out on my 91 sport but there a pain to get out so im still running em, sounds like i hit a brick on every bump, and shakes a bit around 65 mph.
now on to #2: are the ex's equipped with a link, hydro or cable clutch?
on #3 have u done a tune up yet?

and as for all ex's being sluggish, just fyi i kicked the crap outta my friends 81 supra awhile back in a 3 block run :)) he has now decided to do some heavy mods to it (i think he was embarrassed)

Thanks for the help guys. Explorer has a hydro clutch. I changed the air filter and the plugs. didn't help much.

Try cleaning the MAF, and you might want to look into getting the injectors cleaned at a shop (was only around $40 for our windstar) or at least seafoam :)

Good luck with the truck.

and as for all ex's being sluggish, just fyi i kicked the crap outta my friends 81 supra awhile back in a 3 block run :)) he has now decided to do some heavy mods to it (i think he was embarrassed)

What do u have NOS? I can't even beat old grandma next to me lol.

no NOS just a well taken care of stock 4.0, and i must admit the supra wasn't in wonderful shape but still... mines also a 4x4 at the time it was on stock sized rubber, but if u want confirmation (and to help me shame a friend into finishing his car) hit him up on the supra forums and ask him about it his tag is daniel81supra (ill probably catch hell for him having to answer a bunch of questions from explorer guys but that's ok im tired of his car sitting at the shop not runnin) :)

no NOS just a well taken care of stock 4.0, and i must admit the supra wasn't in wonderful shape but still... mines also a 4x4 at the time it was on stock sized rubber, but if u want confirmation (and to help me shame a friend into finishing his car) hit him up on the supra forums and ask him about it his tag is daniel81supra (ill probably catch hell for him having to answer a bunch of questions from explorer guys but that's ok im tired of his car sitting at the shop not runnin) :)

Lol:burnout:

When was the last tune up done, plugs and wires? Make sure the plug gap is correct. Have you replaced the fuel filter recently? New air filter? I like to replace the PCV valve when I get a new-to-me EX. All these things can contribute to power and fuel economy. Also does the truck have a check engine light on? Make sure its not burt out. When the key is in run with the engine off, the check engine light should be on. This is a good test of the light. Also the rear end ratio can contribute to the feel of a vehicle. You may have a 3.08 rear and thats a really tall and slow gear for acceleration. Check the door tag and tell me what the axle code is. I can tell you what ratio was installed in your truck.

The clutches in these trucks are stiff. I have three of them, they are all fairly stiff. The Chebby I drive for work is a stick and I barely even notice the clutch is there campared to my EXs.

As for your suspention, sounds like bushings to me. I would replace them all. Radius arm, axle beam pivots, etc. Make sure you don't have a bent wheel or drive shaft. I have also had a garage botch wheel balancing too, I had to go to another shop to get it checked and done right. Of all things for a professional garage to screw up...

You may have a high performance pressure plate, in your explorer. they sound like agood idea untll you drive them around for a while. but the good news is that your left leg , looks great from the work out, (tennis players usualy have one bigger arm) when your in your bathing suit. LOL Elbow

My clutch in my 93 ex is also stiff as hell! Have just gotten used to it! Mine also battles on hills but that's because i have a misfire somewhere (Have yet to have time to put it in my friends garage) but will all be sorted out soon...

Back