94 XLT radiator exploded... is it a common thing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT radiator exploded... is it a common thing?

alxtronics

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4X2
Hi

I have been lurking for a few weeks, and this is my first post.

I bought a 94 XLT 2WD automatic explorer. Everything seemed to work fine, except for two windows that does not open. I bought it a few weeks ago, and immediately did a complete tune-up including spark plugs, cables, tranny and motor fluid and filters change, etc.

All the gauges gauges seemed to work right. This past sunday, I took the truck for a 120 miles trip. Everything went fine, as well the following couple of days .

Today, my wife took the truck to do some errands, 20 minutes after she left, she called me to tell me that when she parked, a loud noise was heard and a lot of smoke came from the hood.

When I got there, I opened the hood to find coolant everywhere... the funny thing is that the coolant reservoir was full as always. I asked my wife if the temp gauge went up, she swears that it doesn´t.

I tried to find a blown hose or something, and noticed a crack on one side of the rad... on the plastic case facing the battery.

Seeing that i still have some coolante on the truck, I ´ve decided to take it home... I run it for a mile or two, and the temp gauge never past the "A" in "NORMAL", but i noticed that when i was about to get to home, I heard a little, faint knocking when accelerating.

The question is, does the radiator blowing is a common thing? What do I need to check in order to see if there is something else damaged?

Thanks in advance for reading this far and bearing with my bad english.

Cheers

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the radiator exploding club. I guess the oldies are going to tell you to search for answers so thats just a warning But mine did the same thing. Looks like your full tune up didn't include a new water pump.

Few possible things
1 Water Pump is going.
2.Thermostat Malfunctioned.

Here is my thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187745
and here is the picture
IMG00118Small-1.jpg

So Radiators exploding. No not common.
Radiator right side casing blowing off maybe.
Installing a radiator thats smaller than the one that your replacing- NOT SO PRICELESS

Hi

Thanks for your response. I do searched first and only a few threads on exploding rads came up. In fact, yours was the first i read, but yours said that your truck were running hot, and mine not. That´s why I asked, just trying to figure why this happened.

Today i´m checking the thermostat, and will buy a new radiator. The funny thing is that my temp gauge never indicated overheating.

Any more tips, tricks, chips and dips or consolation words are welcome.

Cheers

Alex

Hi

Thanks for your response. I do searched first and only a few threads on exploding rads came up. In fact, yours was the first i read, but yours said that your truck were running hot, and mine not. That´s why I asked, just trying to figure why this happened.

Today i´m checking the thermostat, and will buy a new radiator. The funny thing is that my temp gauge never indicated overheating.

Any more tips, tricks, chips and dips or consolation words are welcome.

Cheers

Alex

Make sure you get the same size radiator!!!!!! If not then the shroud wont fit!

The Temp Gauge Red R In the normal. And the car was off for about 20 minutes. Maybe it was hot and the gauge wasn't working right. get it checked out if you can. Replacing The Thermostat sucks without the right tools. You need a half inch socket, and a swivel will make the job 90% easier!

While you're at it replacing the radiator, you might as well replace the water pump, thermostat, and all the coolant hoses. It's so much easier to replace everything at once than to try and save a few bucks in the short term only to tear it all apart again down the road to replace one thing.

You also might need to replace the serpentine belt since coolant probably got all over it and slicked it up.

Just cause your TS said it's fine doesn't mean anything. It may have been broken. Explorer thermostats are not dependable.

Fyi, I was having a knocking problem in mine and right after the temperature would jump to high. It would only start to happen after driving a couple of miles and only under acceleration. I read in some posts that others corrected the problem cleaning the MAF. Well, yesterday after cleaning the MAF I decided to open the radiator to take a look. The reservoir had water in it, so I though this was a dead end. Water in the reservoir should mean there is water in the radiator. The radiator was less than half way full. Bingo, I filled it up and went for a ride. Knocking problem solved. After driving 7 miles the temperature barely moved from the C (cold).

... The reservoir had water in it, so I though this was a dead end. Water in the reservoir should mean there is water in the radiator. The radiator was less than half way full. ...
You might need a new radiator cap.

Back