94 XLT Running Hot

micklskot

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for this forum and the advice.

I have a 94 4x4 XLT Explorer. I live in New Mexico and have been having cooling problems with my truck. Little things are starting to nickle and dime me, but I still love my Explorer and plan to keep it until it dies which hopefully will be a few years down the road. I've got almost 200k on it now.

A few weeks ago, I had issues with the alternator and replaced that myself today so no more red battery light on the console, but at the time when the alternator went out, I noticed a coolant leak towards the right front passenger side. The leak isn't coming from the water pump from what I can tell. It looks like it is right at the radiator on the passenger side. BTW, I heard a loud pop before I noticed the leak. Today, I checked the fluid in the radiator and it was bone dry. I filled the radiator and decided to take the truck up the hill which is a steady climb at about 45 degrees and immediately the temp gauge went all the way to Hot. I turned the truck around and switched it in neutral and turned it off and coasted all the way back into my driveway. I then switched the truck on and felt the upper radiator hose on the top and the pressure was good. I did not see any coolant leaks. I figured that if it got that hot that quick, there should be enough pressure in the system to see even a small leak.

Earlier observations is my fan blade has cracks in it, so I know it's due for replacement. Seems like it is more than just a thermostat fix. If I do a radiator replacement, I probably need to just go ahead and replace the clutch, too.

Any comments regarding how I should proceed to fix it? Thanks for any recommendations.

Mike

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for this forum and the advice.

I have a 94 4x4 XLT Explorer. I live in New Mexico and have been having cooling problems with my truck. Little things are starting to nickle and dime me, but I still love my Explorer and plan to keep it until it dies which hopefully will be a few years down the road. I've got almost 200k on it now.

A few weeks ago, I had issues with the alternator and replaced that myself today so no more red battery light on the console, but at the time when the alternator went out, I noticed a coolant leak towards the right front passenger side. The leak isn't coming from the water pump from what I can tell. It looks like it is right at the radiator on the passenger side. BTW, I heard a loud pop before I noticed the leak. Today, I checked the fluid in the radiator and it was bone dry. I filled the radiator and decided to take the truck up the hill which is a steady climb at about 45 degrees and immediately the temp gauge went all the way to Hot. I turned the truck around and switched it in neutral and turned it off and coasted all the way back into my driveway. I then switched the truck on and felt the upper radiator hose on the top and the pressure was good. I did not see any coolant leaks. I figured that if it got that hot that quick, there should be enough pressure in the system to see even a small leak.

Earlier observations is my fan blade has cracks in it, so I know it's due for replacement. Seems like it is more than just a thermostat fix. If I do a radiator replacement, I probably need to just go ahead and replace the clutch, too.

Any comments regarding how I should proceed to fix it? Thanks for any recommendations.

Mike

try changing out the thermostat. sounds like it might be stuck in the closed position. i'd try that first, and then see what happens.

Ok, I'll give that a try.....thanks....

As stated, change the Tstat. I would then pressure test the system.

Back