94 XLT Randomly Dies, Starts After Three Minutes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT Randomly Dies, Starts After Three Minutes

UnusuallyGenius

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a '94 Ex XLT that has 266000 miles on it.
As I am driving down the road, circumstances are always different(different speeds, running time, temp,) it will randomly die on me.
Electronics are still going, but the engine will just cut out.
If I go and try and start it again, you will not hear the fuel pump run for that 2 seconds when you turn the keys. But if I wait exactly three minutes, then you will hear the fuel pump run, and the truck will start, but not a second before.

What is going on!?!?!

I dont have a lot of mechanic experience, I am more of a tinkerer, I try and fix something by trial and error. But so far it has not been the plugs, wires, or ignition coil pack. Is it a dying fuel pump? It has been doing this for almost a year now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a relay of some sort. Check your fuel pressure.

Sounds very much like the Fuel Pump Relay. Located passenger side fender Under the Fuses. Green Relay I think.

Thanks for the advice about the relay. Seems to have solved my problem. I switched it out with the Blower relay, and the truck hasnt died yet. But I was going home last night, and the blower did. So I am thinking that was it.
If I only had known that was the issue a long time ago.

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice about the relay. Seems to have solved my problem. I switched it out with the Blower relay, and the truck hasnt died yet. But I was going home last night, and the blower did. So I am thinking that was it.
If I only had known that was the issue a long time ago.

Thanks again

The Blower died.. That's Funny! It does confirm the issue was the Relay.

The OEM Relays were color coded and Keyed to only fit in one spot. Green was Fuse...Brown was EEC or something like that. The aftermarket relays do not have the Key bump in them so you can put the after market relay in any of the 3 places that it fits.
I bought my 'X' for cheap because the Previous Owner had your 'die for no reason' issue and the mechanics he brought it to couldn't get the car to die. It always started right up after being towed tio the shop. A mechanic friend of mine said " Try the relay first" Problem solved for 5 years now.

Back