94 XLT Repairs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT Repairs

dramamoose

Reaction score
Hey. I was recently involved in an accident with another car in an interesection, and managed to completely destroy the drivers headlight assembly, and bend the front drivers side fender. Insurance isn't going to cover any of the damage on my vehicle, so any repairs I need to do, I have to do myself.

I've removed the headlamp assembly, but I'm not sure I can replace it with a new one, because there wasn't much left. I'm going to go pick up a new one next week, but I have some questions about it.

Firstly, there was a long screw-like thing that was along the side of the headlamp. I think it might be the adjustment screw. I have it, but I have no idea where it would go back to.

Secondly, does anyone know of any good places to find instructions on how to replace that assembly?

Lastly, is it even worth the effort for me to try to replace the fender myself, or should I just leave it as is, or try to afford getting it repaired?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be cheaper if you want the fender repaired to get a used one that's still in good shape from a junkyard. They normally run about 50 dollars or so, but depends on the yard you go to.

The ENTIRE assembly, the headlight, turn signal and caution lamp is all one unit, when I had my wreck I completely decimated it, like I don't even know what happened to it. It took me 250 dollars to repair everything, cause I did it myself. That included 2 fenders, hood, grill, headlight assemblies for both sides and the radiator support.

But if you only have damage on the fender and headlight assembly, it should be relatively "easy" to fix. The screw you mentioned, should be attached to the assembly, I know they were when I pulled mine out of a junkyard.

Also, depending on the extent of the damage, you may have damage to your radiator support and/or the "dog cage", which is the metal underneath the fenders that surround the engine, these are designed to crush to absorb impacts, you can see it on mine on the link below.

Message me with any questions man, I've been down this same road as you, and I still have mine and it's still rolling fine.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207641

Btw, I hit the back left edge of a Honda Pilot goign 45-55, so it was pretty bad for me.

Is there an easy way to get behind the fenders? It seems like I can't get there from the wheel well, and the firewall blocks it from the engine.
Also; are there any hidden hazards in the fender? I heard that the older-model fords had some electronics routed through there.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is going to have to be replaced.
How difficult was it to replace your fender? I have access to basically a full set of tools, but I don't have any real experience in body work.

Also, what exactly is the 'dog cage'? My radiator support looks fine; the hit was mostly absorbed by the drivers side fender and the bumper. The bumper has been bent on the end, and I think I can bend it back into place, but I figure that if it won't fit with the new fender, I'll just pull it and replace it later.

The dog cage is the metal surrounding the engine, between the engine adn fenders. If you look on the thread I posted before, the second picture, you can see on the passenger side where it's bent in.

I don't think any electronics are routed "inside" the fender, so don't worry about that, even if they are they should be strapped down some how.

To take off and replace a fender is really easy actually. I used a ratchet with an extension to do it, and if you have a friend help you (to hold the fender while you tighten/loosen bolts while you're aligning it) it's not hard. I want to say it's....8 bolts? Somewhere in that number, and they're small ones to. Reason I say to use a used fender, is that it should be made the same as yours, so you can use the old marks to line yours backup, just trace the current one with permanent marker to make it easier later.

To get "behind the fender" like you asked, you'll have to take the fender off. I know of no way to get to it, but you may be able to if you remove the wheel well shrouds that are attached to it.

Back