95 Explorer Tailgate/rear window won't open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer Tailgate/rear window won't open

jsatchison

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
The handle to open the tailgate no longer turns in either direction, so I can't open either the tailgate or the back window. It does not seem to be locked, just stuck. It was turning when I used force to open the window, and sometimes the tailgate, but that hasn't happened in several months. I need to be able to get to the spare tire release. Anyone know how to fix? Please????

Are you sure it's not locked?? When mine is locked the handle won't move in either direction. Spray some WD40 in the lock cylinder and use the key to try and unlock it, or crawl back there and pull up on the lock button sticking out of the door. If that doesn't work, next thing is to get the interior trim off, which is a PITA with the door closed. There are 5 or 6 pins on the trim abound the rear window that have to come off. There is also a screw holding on the grab handle, and another hidden screw up where the door lock button comes up - you have to snap up the little trim piece the lock button comes up thru to see it. Then the whole panel lifts up about an inch to come off. Once the panel is off you have to poke around to locate and move the rods that go to the door latches on each side. Good luck.

Thanks so much for your help... it was driving me crazy. It wasn't locked, but the rods had slipped down. Once the panel came off, it was easy enough to fix.

Back