95 Expoloer XLT Won't Shut off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Expoloer XLT Won't Shut off

mash3d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hi, I have a 1995 Explorer XLT 4wd.
I turn the key to the off position and the engine and electrical will not shut off.
I have to pull a relay from under the hood to kill the engine.
I've already tried to replace the ignition switch under the steering column. While I had the new switch in I manually moved the selection switch and the engine still would not cut off.
So I don't think it's a problem with the key turning the ignition switch position.

Does anyone have any idea of any relays or other parts I can check?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you have ignition switch problem. it's located on the steering column near the firewall. it could be that the switch is bad, or it could be that the key lock is broken and doesn't pull the rod back when you turn it off.

koda2000, Thanks for the reply. I got a replacement ignition switch and did replace it.
I also moved the rod on the new ignition switch by hand and it didn't make a difference.

koda2000, Thanks for the reply. I got a replacement ignition switch and did replace it.
I also moved the rod on the new ignition switch by hand and it didn't make a difference.

just to be clear, you replaced the switch right? not the key lock. if so, i don't see how putting the switch in the OFF position, manually, wont turn off the engine or other electronics, as putting the switch to the OFF position breaks the electrical connections.

another possibility... maybe there's a relay that sticking in the ON/energized position? try switching them around. as long as they have the same terminal configuration and number of blades on the bottom, they're the same and are interchangeable.

Yes that's right I replaced the switch. I just unhooked the switch all together and it still won't shut off. So I think I have short somewhere that's keeping the circuit open.

Well things just keep getting weird.
I turned the engine on, rotated the key back to the off position and then pulled out the key.
Of course the engine kept running which is my original problem. I started pulling out fuses from the interior fuse box and when I pulled number 3 Fuse (Headlamp switch, park lamp relay, Dimmer relay) the engine shut off.
When that fuse is out everything behaves normally. Starts up and turns off correctly.
So I think my short in the headlamp switch.
Why that affects the engine shutoff is beyond me though.

again, i'd try swap the relays around. pulling the fuse for the headlights might be killing the power to the relay, which is back-feeding voltage through the system. i'm talking about the relays under the hood located in the power distribution box. there are others, in the dash, but they're harder to get at (gotta pull the radio).

relays transfer power when energized. most have power going to them all the time and wait for a ground to turn them on, then they transfer power to the circuit they control by an electromagnet closing a set of contacts. sometimes the contacts get burn with age and stick closed. this could be back-feeding current back through your system and ignoring the position of your ignition switch.

I switched relays around and that seems to have fixed it for the moment.
Tomorrow I'll go get some new replacement relays.
Thanks for the info Trundle and Koda :)

I switched relays around and that seems to have fixed it for the moment.
Tomorrow I'll go get some new replacement relays.
Thanks for the info Trundle and Koda :)

sounds like good news. while the detective in me wants to know which relay was bad, changing them all is one way to go. there is a way to check them, but being you have a '95 it's probably a good idea to just replace them.

Back