95 Ford Explorer Headlights Randomly shut off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ford Explorer Headlights Randomly shut off

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
To anyone that can help!! This just started on our drive home tonight! I turn my blinker on and the headlights go out while blinker is on. I turn blinker on again to make another turn and headlights turn off again. Headlights turn back on AFTER blinker shuts off! So I thought for now I wont use blinkers. WELL then, we got about 30 miles down the interstate and they went out for about 2 seconds again. We got to walmart, the vehicle was off for 90 minutes while we were in there. I started the vehicle, and it hadn't been running for 5 minutes and the blinker made them go out again.

Now, I will say that I hear a buzzing sometimes, and when I hear that buzzing the blinkers won't work. I have narrowed THAT problem down to the multi-function switch. Could the multi-function switch also be causing my headlights to go out?? Are they related. If I replace the switch will this fix all these problems with blinkers, headlights, and OH YEAH, the sensitive windshield wipers?? Please help! I can get the switch for 49.95 on ebay, or 51 from rockauto.com. Anyone got ideas for a cheaper one anywhere! Thanks in advance for everyones advice!

To anyone that can help!! This just started on our drive home tonight! I turn my blinker on and the headlights go out while blinker is on. I turn blinker on again to make another turn and headlights turn off again. Headlights turn back on AFTER blinker shuts off! So I thought for now I wont use blinkers. WELL then, we got about 30 miles down the interstate and they went out for about 2 seconds again. We got to walmart, the vehicle was off for 90 minutes while we were in there. I started the vehicle, and it hadn't been running for 5 minutes and the blinker made them go out again.

Now, I will say that I hear a buzzing sometimes, and when I hear that buzzing the blinkers won't work. I have narrowed THAT problem down to the multi-function switch. Could the multi-function switch also be causing my headlights to go out?? Are they related. If I replace the switch will this fix all these problems with blinkers, headlights, and OH YEAH, the sensitive windshield wipers?? Please help! I can get the switch for 49.95 on ebay, or 51 from rockauto.com. Anyone got ideas for a cheaper one anywhere! Thanks in advance for everyones advice!

Almost certain to be your MFS casuing this. Mine did much the same thing three years ago; got a replacement from a Pull-a-Part yard for $16 and has been fine since.

Second the multifunction switch.

Back