96 4.0 Oil in the water, engine runs ok | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 Oil in the water, engine runs ok

Acswitz

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all new to the forum and have been searching around to see my specific issue. One user had oil in the water and it was a cracked head (twice). Maybe thats the case here. Just want to get a bit of feedback to make sure I am not off on the wrong track.
My daughters 96 4.0 had the engine replaced 2yrs ago and since then it has always "used" a lot of engine oil.. As she was 1000 miles away at school and "on her own" I did not intensely query what she meant by "a lot" . She just drove this thing from Tx to Col. When I looked inside there is a sign on the dash "Check and Add oil every time you get gas" WOW.. I ask and she says it will be ok after she flushes the radiator, by now my eyebrows are way beyond the top of my head with skepticism. LOL :eek: Anyways, the result of the radiator flush was a large pail of water with at least a Full 1 1/2 inches of oil on top of it, We aren't talking a little milky brown water.. I am still amazed she drove it 1500 miles but I did not let it go any further. (she was on her way to Seattle for the summer,, sent her on in a diff car) ..
Ok had to share that as it may be relevant that the truck to this day starts and runs fine and only overheats if its low on oil (naturally, sigh) .. My first thought is head gasket,, My question to the forum is do you think its a head gasket or am I looking at replacing the entire head? I dont have 2k for a head gasket replacement on a 2k$ or less vehicle right now so am tying into it myself. I suppose either way it goes I have to remove the heads to see whats going on?
Hope you like the story, but outside of the general omg humour of the whole situation, I am not looking forward to this one and any insights/feedback is most welcome!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums!

It could be a lower intake manifold gasket. They are known to leak on the 1st gen Explorers.

First, I'd run a compression test on the motor to see if you have any cylinder leakdown.

Heads removed gasket ok How to Test the heads?

Ok so the heads are off and the head gaskets look ok / not blown. nothing obvious showing crack wise ,, is there a way test the heads?

you have to take ot some where so they can pressure test and magnaflux them.i havent figured a way to test them and some times the crack is so small you wouldnt be able to see it.goodluck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back