• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 mods

burchesss

Reaction score
City, State
christiansburg VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02xlt 96 eb 78f150
I was wondering what people think is the best mod or mods for the early V8 explorers. I have a tight budget. So the torque monster headers are a stretch where should I start? The 4406 swap is one idea I have been seriously looking into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Throttle cable mod
Swiss cheese the air box. Both are free if you have basic materials and they made a noticeable difference for me

i just did the throttle cable mod, and it made a very noticeable difference!

Air box done will look into cable mod

Throttle cable mod? What is this, I also have a '96 5.0, and am curious o how this is done.

Nevermind, I sort of found out. If my Explorer does not have any slack, I doubt it will help me, also doesn't the swiss cheese air box just take hot engine compartment air, instead of cold outside air?

depending on what your aiming to do, you could always pull the upper/lower intake and heads have them ported and port matched and you could get some extra poneys out of it for just the machine cost. probably 3-400 dollors at most. and maybe a mild cam for about 200. easy 50-70 hp by doing that, and of you do the headers that will be good too. if you do all that you would prolly have a 300 hp rig

Throttle cable mod? What is this, I also have a '96 5.0, and am curious o how this is done.

Nevermind, I sort of found out. If my Explorer does not have any slack, I doubt it will help me, also doesn't the swiss cheese air box just take hot engine compartment air, instead of cold outside air?

trust me you probably have some slack. i didnt think i would but i ended up using 2 zip ties :p and for the swiss cheese mod it opens up the air box so it is less restrictive. if youre worried about it bringing in hot air then you could do it on the 3/4 sides that dont face the engine. i opened up all 4 sides and i have no probelms with it and definately see a differance.

trust me you probably have some slack. i didnt think i would but i ended up using 2 zip ties :p and for the swiss cheese mod it opens up the air box so it is less restrictive. if youre worried about it bringing in hot air then you could do it on the 3/4 sides that dont face the engine. i opened up all 4 sides and i have no probelms with it and definately see a differance.

OK, I couldn't hurt to at least try the throttle cable mod. I was sort of considering boxing in the intake, in an outter box, and then running some flexible hose to where it can take in clean air.

But I have seen many Explorers with the square airbox, and mine has the cylindrical, is it the same thing?

OK, I couldn't hurt to at least try the throttle cable mod. I was sort of considering boxing in the intake, in an outter box, and then running some flexible hose to where it can take in clean air.

But I have seen many Explorers with the square airbox, and mine has the cylindrical, is it the same thing?

Ive always wondered why some have the cylinder

Throttle cable bandaid is more like it shouldn't a MOD take you past stock performance? Rather than "rig" it back where it should have been? This fix may work in a pinch. But I would feel better with a new cable.

Back