• Register Today It's free!

96 Driver's Door Lock

skidoofan

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Recently purchased a 96 Explorer and have a question concerning the driver's door lock. Would this have an anti-lockout feature in which you have to manually press the lock button down in order to lock that door? It has the keypad on the outside of door for entry and just got a keyless remote off Ebay. I've programmed that in but it will not lock the driver's door completely. You still need to press the button down to lock it. Just wondering??

I believe your locks are very simular to my 2000xlt, plus I had a 96xls before the 2000.

the driver door lock does not require any kind of manual help if it is working properly. there are several things that could cause this issue. there are linkages that could be bad, there are plastic clips that keep everything in line in the door that could be broken, everything is connected to the actual lock part on the latch so it could be the latch, could be the selenoid that fires the power lock sticking (I doubt this one myself). you need to pull the door panel and investigate.

there are a multitude of threads about door locks with instructions on how to remove.

My drivers lock only unlocks half the way about half the time, I pulled the door panel so I can unlock the door if the selenoid dies. I think I have a bad latch and a bad selenoid in my drivers door, I will replace them both when time permits.

David

Back