Remote will not lock door

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
Greetings,

My keyless remote for the 99 Explorer would not lock the door this evening. I pressed the lock button once and no respond from the Explorer, not even the usual “click/thump” sound; pressed the button the second time and I hear the usual horn sound goes off once. The remote would unlock the door, however. The keypad will not lock the door either; the keypad will unlock the door. I could lock and unlock the door from the switch/button inside or via manual operation. Any suggestion on where I should start look into solving this mystery? If this question has been asked in the past, please help point me to the right link. Thanks a bunch!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the up above sticky, on your year, you are still having the issue?

IF there is no mechanical noise (ie. all is quiet), odds are you have a broken splice going from the RAP to the unlock / lock relays.... tons of posts... the splice is in the rear left passenger side cable raceway.

Thank you, Budwich, for the advice. I will look into the posts and update the result. I hope the problem is not the locking mechanism or something that require a visit to a dealer...

Is it not locking all the doors or only a specific door? If its a specific door then chances are its the lock actuator being bad or something else in the door. Unlock all the doors and see if the remote will lock the rest of the doors.

All doors will not lock

The doors will not automatically lock when the car move; it usually automatically lock the door when car move.

Its not a mechanical issue then... and its the "common... ya broke my splice" issue.

IF there is no mechanical noise (ie. all is quiet), odds are you have a broken splice going from the RAP to the unlock / lock relays.... tons of posts... the splice is in the rear left passenger side cable raceway.

I am having the same problem with my remote--where do I find some answers

Thanks to all the suggestions, I fixed the problem tonight. The issue is, as Budwich suggested, the wire splice issue. Thanks to Bluestream1's post (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179629) and photo, I found the wires that cause the lock to fail. The outside definitely looks fine but once I cutted the protected wrapping open, the joint was oxided to powder form. I am terrible at soldering and so I used the butt splice to joined the wire together, heat wrap the wires, and then tap the wrap for extra protection.

Thanks again, guys, for your help. You guys rock!!!

Back