96' Ex Intermediate Steering shaft. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96' Ex Intermediate Steering shaft.

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I was just watching a video on Youtube from Ericthecarguy, and he had a Toyota Truck, that had the same issues as my Ex, hard steering, and a popping, noise when I turned the wheel.

He narrowed it down to the steering intermediate shaft on the Toyota. The Toyota had a Rack and Pinion, like the Explorers, and had a U-joint in the intermediate shaft.

So I was wondering is our intermediate shaft is the same, or similar? I am unsure if there is a U-joint, or any joint in the intermediate shaft of the Explorers.

Also if there is, I will most likely be getting one, so any info from where to get a decent priced one would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a "Ball joint" on the end of the shaft, it can go bad, and make for loose or popping symptoms.

There are a couple types made for the 2nd gens, one has metal and one has plastic on it.

Search for Mountaineergreens thread on this in the 2nd gen forum. Lots of good info with pictures there on this subject.

I read it, so what I got from it is that the pinch bolts are a PITA to get to, that this is most likely my problem, and that nobody makes them anymore??? I love how company's think some parts are life time parts. Looks like I am making a trip to the junk yard to grab a few of these. Might as well grab more then one just in case the one I got is as bad as mine.

I also saw in there that you can grease it to prevent the new/used one from going out like my current one? how would I go about that?

Once you have it in your hands, you will see what to do. Just use some bearing grease, and pack a little in the ball opening. ;)

Thanks. My list from the JY just keeps getting longer and longer....

Back