• Register Today It's free!

Intermediate steering shaft?

norton155

Reaction score
City, State
niles il
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
Two days ago the steering on my Explorer started getting very heavy. This only happened at certain points about once per complete turn of the steering wheel. Hope that makes sense. The same thing happens with the front wheels up in the air. I think the intermediate steering shaft is the problem. The boot is ripped (see picture) and there is quite a bit of play in the joint when I grab the steering column. Fortunately half a can of WD-40 seems to have fixed the problem. ;)

I know this is not a long term solution. I am looking for advice on replacing the shaft. How do you access the lower bolt? I can not find the part on Autozone's website. Dealer only?

steeringshaft2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junkyard--

Mine has also developed this again, and I had switched to your style--lol

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169840&highlight=loose+steering

Here's the tip-
you will see the pinch bolt on the steering rack-
turn the steering wheel until the bolt head is facing the front of the truck-then play with this until you can get a 1/4" ratchet and extension with a wobble extension or swivel loaded with a 13mm socket-straight in from the front. you eill need to go thru the lines and such with the extension

The bolt does need to be removed to get the joint off the rack. It can only go back one way-

WARNING

Be sure to lock the steering wheel before you remove the shaft-or it may turn too far and damage the clockspring.

Thanks JT. You have any idea where to buy another one of these shafts?

I've been seeing some for sale on eBay if you can believe it. Claim to be OEM Ford too.

Thanks Cobra, I planned on checking ebay tonight. Today I found out it is a dealer only part, around $350. I found a few locally at salvage yards. One about twenty miles away for $75 and another for $35 with a three month warrenty but its over 40 miles away. I'm going to try the local pick and pull and then probably drive the forty miles to pick that one up. I will pull back the boot, clean it out and repack it with fresh grease before I install the used piece.
I'm no longer really worried about sorcing the part. I'm still concerned about getting at the bottom bolt. Thats why I'd like to find one at the pull a part, to practice taking one out without hacking up my truck.

Steering intermediate shaft & Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends

Background:
I have a 95 Explorer XLT w/ 5spd MANUAL transmission w/ about 190k mi(Just Rebuilt and clutch replaced $2500+ [I don't remember just how much, with the shock of the cost and all]), I bought it in July 96 with about 1000 mi on it.
It had been on its way to Brazil. Dunno why it didn't make it. But I got it as a used Exp with a new dash and the paperwork to show that it had been replaced from a metric version.

Problem:
My steering became difficult about a week ago.
It wouldn't center after turning the wheels in either direction.

I took it to my local mechanic, whom I trust, and he tells me that I need my Steering intermediate shaft rebuilt ($300 - It is $300 because it has to be rebuilt since it is not available anymore) and
my Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends need to be replaced ($600)

My worry is that if I now replace this what's next? I don't mind regular maintenance and as long as my repair cost avg under $300 -$400/mth i don't mind since I would pay that much or more for a mthly car payment

I just can't see spending another $900+ for this and not know if in another month something else will go wrong.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

PS I can find the Tie Rods in my newly acquired Haynes manual (Ford Explorer 1991 - 2001 All models), But I don't see the Steering intermediate shaft.
(IF I end up scrapping the Exp, then this manual will be for nought.)

Back