• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer lift?

kael040

Reaction score
City, State
grande prairie
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
hey i got a 96 explorer with v6 4.0l and im wondering wat mods to do and lift to install. Ive been told most upgrades arent worth the money and that most exuasht sound horrible. wondering if anyone has put anything on it? also i was thinking about a 6inch suspension lift from superlift and getting 33 boggers but ive been told the engine wont turn then, any help would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whoeever told you the engine want turn is a complete fool and probably a chevy owner and the fact is your engine will outlast whatever pos he drives ...as for the 33's get the Torsion Bars in the front raised 2" factory ground to top of wheel height is 33 1/4" with the front you should shoot for 35 1/4" that will give a ful 2" in the front...and for the rear go with Procomp Add A Leaf's they have a specific model for the 95'-01' explorer can't remember the part number...also WAR153 lift shackles you can get these from tellico 4x4 can't remember the exact website but just type in "tellico 4x4" in yahoo search...this will give you 2" full inches of suspension lift and for the rest go with a Peformance Accessories Body Lift for 95'-97' Ranger it will all fit the only thing you will have to modify is the bumper brackets because those of the ranger will not fit the explorer but the whole body part of the lift will fit,,,there is a thread up here somewhere about how to make the bumper brackets ...this will give you a full 5" of lift and hopefully should be no more than a few hundred dollars if you know how to do it yourself...The body lift part number is PA853 3" for 95'-97' Ranger...and is around $150-$175 I do $60 or so...the torsion bar twist/lift for the front can be done yourself...with jackstands, wrench,ratchet, correct sized socket, penatrating oil, might be one or two more you need but I don't think there are anymore for the torsion lift...as for the tires I would go with BFG 33" all-terrains or mud-terrains with 15x8" rock crawler wheels...I have read on certain off road forums that if that explorer you have is your daily driver then you will be hating life with swamper boggers, as they or competition mud boggers and will sound horribly loud, get about 10-12mpg on a X with 33's if your lucky...will wear unevenly and they only last about 10,000-15,000...the way I see it a $700 Honda will go farther and cost less for fuel than a $700 set of tires lol... anyway here is what you should get as far as tires go...

BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM with US Steel Rock Crawler Wheels
www.desertrat.com
33x12.50-15 w/US steel rock crawler wheels is $859

BF Goodrich All Terrain KO with US Steel Rock Crawler Wheels
www.desertrat.com
$840

Hopes this helps you...

the 4" superlift is about 1500 dollars on ebay and what I said can be done for a fraction of the cost and you one more inch of lift

haha k sweet that seems alot cheaper, yeah i had to mud terrian on my truck and they werent bad but i wanted to go for a more aggrisive look, but yeah ill proably stick with the mud terrian seeing as my step dad gets them at cost, so bonus for me haha :)

Just be aware that that body lift is lifting the body of the truck off the frame, everything other than the body stays put. You will see more exposed underparts of the truck, and not gain 3'' of clearance. The only extra clearance a body lift really provides is that which you can get by fitting on larger tires because of it.

man i can't type worth a crap lol the shackles are around $60 or so and the Procomp AAL's or around $40

yeah im not really to sure about wat to do

well mine is 2wd but soon I've been debating 32's I can get a full 3" of TT cause i'm 2wd no cv joints to buckle and wear...so please people no 2wd comments appreaciated thx this truck came with rims and suckers are coming off...besides even those bad Arse dessert trucks are 2wd and they can go through more rough crap terrain/course wise at high speeds than most stock 4wds can...may just stick with 31's at first since there cheap...but i'm going to have 3" in the front 2.5" in the rear and later in the X's life after I ride the 31's for a while going to add 3" body lift and 33x13.50's yes (13.50's) super swamper makes some that size in some of the street tires i do believe that would look hott

so how would exhaust sound on a 4.0l? and wat kind would be the best

You cant really go wrong with a flowmaster. They do sound pretty cool even on a V6!

ah...(unoahnoah) your truck is a replica of mine lol it will be lifted soon nice rig!!!!!

Sounds good....Keep me updated on the progress. Would love to see pictures when your done!!

Noah

Back