96 Explorer Replacing AC Discharge and Suction Lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer Replacing AC Discharge and Suction Lines

pmonahan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
1996 Explorer XLT 4.0L OHV

One of my AC hoses is cracked and the refrigerant has leaked out. The compressor is new about a year ago.

I've order the replacement Discharge and Suction Line set. I'll probably replace the lines this weekend.

I've searched the forum for guidance; my question is this:

Will I be able to simply fill the system with refrigerant on the low pressure side or is the process more complicated i.e. drawing a vacuum like you might on a Home Air Conditioning Compressor to remove moisture, etc. prior to adding refrigerant ?

Thanks

you should vacuum out the system before recharging. Many people say you should also replace the accumulator and orifice tube while the system is open. these parts aren't very expensive and are easy to change while the system is empty

you should vacuum out the system before recharging. Many people say you should also replace the accumulator and orifice tube while the system is open. these parts aren't very expensive and are easy to change while the system is empty

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I have both the accumulator and orifice tube on order. Under $35.00 for both.

I Think I'll purchase a gauge set and vacuum pump

P

Always advisable to draw vacuum before charging. Two reasons: Refrigerant efficiency suffers with presence of moisture (which gets in with the air that finds it's way in). Second, certain components inside the system may corrode due to presence of moisture. Not good.

In the case of a system low on refrigerant, but still shows pressure on gauge set with compressor not turning, no air can have entered, as pressure remaining in system is higher than outside atmospheric pressure. imp

Back