96 Explorer wont go in gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer wont go in gear

exp09

Reaction score
Hey I'm kinda new to the explorerforum and I've been experiencing some problems with the transmission on my 96 XLT with the 6cylinder motor (has about 196,000 miles on it). I thought it was the infamous valve body issue that I've been reading about on the forums since the transmission seemed to be slipping, or "soft shifting" into 3rd gear.
Anyway I think it finally gave out a few days ago. There was a weird grinding noise downshifting out of 4th, and when i stoppped the car stalled. I managed to get it home by giving it alot of gas to get going, once it was moving it was fine but there was alot of hesitation and some grinding. Its currently parked and drive won't engage at all.
Wanted to know if anyone out there knows whats going on with the transmission, is it the simple and cheaper valvebody fix, or do i need a whole new transmission? thanks.

EDIT: Wrong Forum please delete, sorry

Welcome to this forum! It sounds like a problem with the torque converter. You said that it makes a grinding noise, and slips in drive. How is it in reverse? You have high mileage, so it could be transmission or transfer case related.

Just curious is it a Rear Axle (differential gears gone)?

Grinding/Hesitation and slowly limping home sounds like this too.

Back