96 wont go in gear, any gear.. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 wont go in gear, any gear.. HELP!

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
i got a call at 1:30 this morning from my sister who said she 'heard something drop underneath the truck' in the middle of a hill and was unable to move forward and was having difficulty getting the truck in Park. coasted backwards down the hill into a gas station parking lot, moved it through the gears and had nothing. i got there and confirmed, nothing in any gear, just revs and makes a chattering noise. i bought the truck fairly cheap but never had any issues warning of tranny trouble. shifts smooth, no slipping, clean fluid.. but like i said previously, nothing in any gear, i cant even feel it engage, 1,2,D,R nothing. had to have it towed.. im not the best with transmissions but is there anything that could cause the truck to pop out of gear or not engage, shift cable? i also noticed the O/D light was flashing. any help is appreciated. ive owned 5 explorers and this is the first one ive had trans. issues with. thanks in advance.

Back