96 Steering Trouble

96kenex

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt 4x4
96 4X4 4.0L

While backing out of my garage, I noticed steering seemed rough in spots. Through parking lot, steering was rough in same spots. Accelarating out of a turn, steering would not fully straighten due to rough spots, then needed to take control to fully stragihten.
Wanting to Check the power steering pump (rotate by hand) I removed the serpentine belt. Unfortunately, the tensioner exploded (spring popped out of casing and tensioner ended up in fan blade, center still bolted to truck). Replaced tensioner. Rotated pump by hand. Pump rotated freely (no rough spots).
Additionally, front left tire had inside wear. Took to mechanic for diagnosis. Truck was slightly out of alignment, but he said rough spots were due to bad rack and pinion.
He replaced the rack and pinion...same issue, same spots.
Upon returning, Mechanic said newly installed rack and pinion must be bad. Prior to installing another rack and pinion, he troubleshot the steering system (Steering wheel to wheels) and found no issues. He replaced rack and pinion, but said issues still existed and will contact me later next week regarding the next step (he wanted to talk to his tech support main office).
I tested on drive home. My opinion is that the problem is very slight compared to what it was, but does still exist, making me think the re-manufactured units used are not satisfactory. (mechanic thinks it may be something with the pump?)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ken (96kenex)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your intermediate steering shaft may be the culprit. It has a double u joint at the rack end, if its dry, worn or rusty, it can cause what your describing. There is a pinch bolt on the rack and a bolt that attaches it to the shaft that goes through the firewall. I'd suggest you pull it and see if it swivels freely.

Good comment...although my mechanic mis-diagnosed it as rack and pionion (and I paid for that!), he threw in the labor to replace the intermediate shaft, which was the culprit. On the plus side, I am going to have a new front end on my Ex (123,000 miles) before I know it! Upper ball joints and wheel bearings only items left.

Appreciatively, Ken

I am having the same problem with my X.

I tried finding the part online (Rock, AutoZ, PartsAmerica) but I think I may be missing something.

Any help?

Thanks

couldnt it also be air in the lines?...i know mine did this and it was the R&P i replaced that, then it did it again and i figured it was air in the lines and it went away after some driving.

Back