96 Steering issues

Mordecai

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT OHV
Hey all!
owner of a 96 Explorer, has some steering issues. Steering is tight, hard to turn and almost feels like there is no powering steering. Not sure what to investigate first. No steering leaks, fluid is a little dirty but that’s all. A bit of whining noise from the steering system when turning the wheel. Any thoughts or suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whining is a sign of either air entering the system or the pump is on it's way out. Probably one of the check valves is leaking. The teflon o-rings are know to leak on the hose fittings as well. It could also be a clogged power steering pump reservoir.

Whining is a sign of either air entering the system or the pump is on it's way out. Probably one of the check valves is leaking. The teflon o-rings are know to leak on the hose fittings as well. It could also be a clogged power steering pump reservoir.
Where would you recommed starting with this?

Start by emptying the reservoir and look for any particles blocking the dime sized screen at the bottom, if any found, it may be time to replace the rack n pinion. That nylon o-ring on the pressure line is well know to leak. I would replace it regardless. If it turns out to be the pump, replace it with a Motorcraft nothing else or you will be replacing it again in the near future. Remember, Ford pumps have a reputation of whinning. In fact, mine has been whinning for years and functions just fine so I just leave it. If the list I gave you fails, then the rack n pinion is bad and will need to be replaced.

@Mordecai After I was able to get My newest 1997 going it had stiff steering. Almost un-turnable. It turns out that the Intermediate steering shaft had to come out of the truck, be cleaned up and re-lubricated before being reinstalled. I had already replaced the ps pump and that wasn't the problem. I've driven it 2800 miles since servicing the I.S.S.
Click here to see where I fixed mine.

jack the front end up and turn it side to side
You are looking for any binding in the ball joints, tie rod ends, cv axles, steering intermediate shaft
give the front end a shake down test

Back