• Register Today It's free!

'96 XLT V6 Loud noise from engine

Monkey Smack

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Its a loud sound that seems to come from the otherside of the firewall inside the engine compartment. :rant:

My issue started with an RPM problem. Intermitant and weeks apart. Started back in Dec 2006. I noticed that after startup, my idle RPM would drop so low, the engine would occasionally stall when I put the truck in gear. The idle is so quiet that I almost didn't know the engine was running. As the months passed, the low idle came and went, however, for a long time, even though the RPM's were below 500, the truck wouldn't stall. I thought things were getting better, even if not fixed. :thumbsup: Then the noise started. :scratch:

The VERY loud whiney noise that comes out sounds like a boat horn or some kinda whale call. The sound is at its worst at idle. It can easily be heard from 100+ ft away. The sound only comes around when the RPM's are steady and normal around 1000 - 1500 RPM's.

The operation of the truck seems fine. No performance issues other then the sound. Very different from the previous issue. I find that rev'in the engine and increasing the RPM's quiets the sound. As soon as the engine accellerates, the whiney sound starts to drop off dramatically. Left to idle on it's own, will occasionally fix the problems but pressing the accelerator seems the fastest solution so far.

I over time, I noticed a pattern develope. I don't think the problem has ever happened durring the morning. This issue has never prevented me from making it to work. Or delayed my departure from home. I believe my issues only arise when the car has been warmed up already.

I would start the car, and IF the RPM issue came up, it would happen sporatically over a couple days, eventually, the loud whiney sound will result. Once the blockage " or what I think is a blockage" is past, the sounds stops, and the truck works as normal, until the RPM issue comes back, then changes to the sound, then back to normal. Very rarely, when the engine has started, and no problems arise immediately, soon after the truck might start to make the whiney sound. This is uncommon though.

The problems are different, however, my solution has been the same. Rev the engine in park until resolved. :banghead:

I've been told it might be that Cat Converter. Aparently ford models use a single piece of synthetic ceramic type "whatever" in the Cat Conferters and they can break apart and cause air flow blockage. I hope some of my details help diagnose the issue. Any opinions? :feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sunday night, I did the IAC cleaning. They were right, filthy inside. So far, no noise has returned, however, with only 1 day passing, thats not saying much. Crossing my fingers. If it lasts the week, we'll know.

It's been over a week since the cleaning. I noticed a huge improvement, however, the noise has come back, even if quieter. I'm pretty sure that the part needs to be replaced to permanently fix the issue, however, cleaning will keep things working as they should until the new part arives.

Back