• Register Today It's free!

97 awd front brake questions?

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 limited (gone)
Hi Folks;
Well, after reading as many posts as I could find about brakes; I decided to order some drilled, slotted front rotors and titanium pads from J.C Whitney. Not a bad price; came to about $166.00 with s/h. I also plan on flushing and filling the brake system with synthetic fluid.
My questions are:
1. Do the rotors have to be pressed onto the hubs, or are they a slip-fit?
2. The pads came with shims that have an adhesive on one side. Which side goes which way? (this may sound stupid, but i've never done a brake job on any car that required shims).
3. Are there any tips I should know about before starting this job? I am also buying new slide pins and bearing seals so I can re-pack the wheel bearings. Any tips you all have would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I have done brakes before, I have all the right tools; it's just been a while.
Thanks a bunch;
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the rotor are slotted, each one of them should have an identification mark for right side or left side (R and L). If no marks, the slots should not go against the pad.
The slots should be going this direction \ when driving forward.

The shims are attached to the back of the pad. The rotors are slip on (no press necessary), though the old ones may not want to come off due to rust. This is nothing a hammer can't fix. And don't worry about hurting them you are going to throw them away anyways. You don't need seals because your X uses a non servicable sealed wheel bearing. They can not be repacked.

Amen to that

thanks for the tips!

Hi all;
Hey, thanks for the tips. I did not know the ex's had sealed wheel bearings. Hmmm......Should be doing the brake job in the next week or two. I will post again after doing it to let you all know how these rotors and pads work out.
George

Back