97 Explorer 2wd...wheel bearings serviceable or not???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer 2wd...wheel bearings serviceable or not????

LAWDOGKMS

Reaction score
I have 100K on my 97, and have what I think I can only describe as a "grumbling" from the front end at low speed..

I thought maybe tires, or bearings..

The tires look okay..

I'm taking a vacation to the East Coast next week, and it will probably be about 4,000 miles round trip, and I'd like to do the bearings if they are serviceable before I go..

I have done a "search", and have found conflicting information as to whether they are serviceable on the 97 2wd or not..

Does anyone here have a definitive answer?

If they are, are any special tools required?

Difficulty level?

Expense of new bearings if the old are bad?

and any other advice you guys can help me with on this issue?

Thanks,
LAWDOGKMS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To my knowledge the '97 Explorer Bearings are not serviceable. They are pressed into the hub. I have heard of people pressing them out and pressing new ones in, but this is not supposed to be an easy thing to do.

Most likely you have to replace the Hub/Rotor with it, sorry.

Cali' Explorer said:
To my knowledge the '97 Explorer Bearings are not serviceable. They are pressed into the hub. I have heard of people pressing them out and pressing new ones in, but this is not supposed to be an easy thing to do.

Most likely you have to replace the Hub/Rotor with it, sorry.

Thanks,

Again, I get other information..

While I was waiting to get a reply on this board, I called the Ford Dealer and spoke with the service manager, and he said the 2wd 97's are removable and serviceable..

Go figure??

I guess I've got to trust the Ford Tech Rep, if I' listen to anyone, as they should know..

Thanks for the reply though...

Popping the bearings in and out isn't too hard of a job, you just either need a greasing thing that's used to repack the bearings with grease, or take the time to do it yourself when yo put them back in. A set of inner and outer bearings for both sides should run you about $30.00.

And if you are hearing a gumbling or the kind of sound that big offroad tires make on pavement at low speeds that is a pretty good indicator that your bearings are dead.

no way that bearings cost $30....maybe like $10/$15 for all four ( inner/outer for both sides) its really easy to do maybe a 30 minute job, if you know what you're doing, just make sure you replace the bearing races also, just get a long punch and a hammer and hit them out.

You can pop the inboard wheel bearings out with a brass punch and set them with a large socket and a hammer. You can always take them into a machine shop and have them removed/pressed when they turn the rotors for a brake job.

the wheel bearings on a 2nd gen vehicle are sealed, non-servicable assembley. you need to replace them if they are bad, as you cannot simply repack them.

Wrong wrong wrong so much wrong information. 2nd gen 4WD bearings are sealed and cannot be serviced. 2WD bearings ARE serviceable, simply remove the spindle nut and rotor to remove the inner and outer wheel bearings. Then you can repack them or replace them. They are about $10 a piece.

Hartman, you the man. I really only have experience with the AWD explorers, and all the information I have seen normally relates to the AWD/4WD flavor. Good to know that at least the 2WD Explorer's can easily swap their bearings.

Sorry for any confusion to anyone reading this thread.

jgilbs said:
the wheel bearings on a 2nd gen vehicle are sealed, non-servicable assembley. you need to replace them if they are bad, as you cannot simply repack them.

I think you are mistaken. I have done it many times.

Back