97 Explorer 6X8 to 6.5?

zkeeton

Reaction score
City, State
Fergus Falls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hello:

I have a four door 97 Explorer XLT and I was wondering how well it works to install 6.5 Component speakers with an adapter? I saw that they have an adapter plate on ebay so it looks like they will fit, but I wanted to make sure that the speakers would fit, and the door panels would fit back on properly, etc.

I am looking at purchasing two pairs of Infinity Kappa 6.5 3-Way Speakers. I am also wondering how it will sound if I place 4 3 Way spearkers in the explorer.

If this would work, would I need an amp to drive those? I am looking at purchasing a Blaupunkt head unit to drive the speakers.

Thanks in advance

Zach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

an amp is not needed..BUT adding an amp for the speakers makes them sound 10X better than crappy HU power.

Also I doubt those speakers are you talking about are true 3 ways...probably 2 ways with a passive tweeter that does nothing.

I installed two pairs of the Infinity Reference 6x8's in my friends exploder...they sounded pretty good...good midbass but the tweeter is a bit harsh on them.

I'd rather custom make my own adapters

i made my own adapters for my focals up front...adapter ended up having to be 1 1/4" thick to barely clear the magnet and barely clears the grill on the door panel aswell. Works nicely though

focal_mid.jpg

focal_mid2.jpg

Back