97 explorer crank no start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer crank no start

So I did the compression test all ports really low but basically same pressure about 30 psi so my buddy says head gasket I'm still leaning toward timing only bc the pressure is the same all the way around my question is would a slipped timing create low pressure like that dry and wet test was done...no oil in my coolant and doesn't shoot out of radiator

When an engine jumps time the valves hit the pistons and get bent, leading to low/no compression because the valves can no longer close and seal. You should be seeing at around 160-180 PSI of compression on all cylinders with no more than 10% difference between cylinders. Your engine is now junk. Sorry.

BTW - Your buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sounds like jackshaft (correct term?) timing went, basically, engine's done

If all 6 cylinders have 30 psi then it is very likely that the jackshaft to crankshaft chain has slipped. That is unusual because on my 2000 even with no primary chain tensioner installed I was not able to get enough slack in the chain to make it slip using my hands. Since there is still some compression the valves may not be bent. I suggest using an air compressor and a spark plug adapter to determine if the valves are leaking or just out of time. There's a chance you could get by with just replacing the primary chain tensioner and retiming the camshafts. Your tensioner probably looks like the one shown below.
Exp019.jpg

Back