• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer SOHC Auto Questions

Shaun123

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC V6 4.0 RWD
ok now first of all im in puerto rico so stuff aint that cheap around here and english aint my first langue so bare with me.
my ford explorer is a 1997 V6 4.0 SHOC i had to have the timing belt changed cause the engine was making a clicking sound and pinging that costed me $1,300 thats the cheapest i could get most people said they wouldent do it cause it takes to much time then like 3 months later i was minding my own buiness buying some food at mcdonalds i put the gears into reverse and a acelerate a lil too hard and before the gear got a chance to shift over and my transmision blew could only make it move starting in 2 gear then go back down to first then change it into drive once going 30 big mess anyway point is i spent say another $1,600 on the new transmision wich is now hmm 6 months old i allso put a k/n style airfilter $500 in suspensions $1,200 in music $370 in the muffler and had my 2 cats cut off right now my muffler started to sound weird i took it to a muffler shop where i had my work done they said i have a oxigen sencor stuck in it and i need to replace it cause once it goes in it wont come out sounds like alot of bullshit to me then i took it to another muffler place and they tol me the muffler went bad and they just dont want to cover it under garantie cause i only had it like 2 months ... dont know what i should do cause i was thinking about puthing 2 muflers on each side with 3 inch tubes but that comes out to $470 total installed and um im tired of spending so much money im only 20 years old ... money aint eassy to get i work hard for it i would like any recomendations i can get from this forum and i would like to improve my aceleration with a low buget when i race hmm lets see i won every corolla, m3, tiburon, stock evos won a evo 8 once cause he missed 3rd, and stayed behind a porsche about a car and a half once i hit 115mph but we ran out of road.. :fire: alot of people make fun of me for racing in a explorer till they see me win them or stay by them i havent won anyone with nitro yet tho so i may be looking to to adding nitro my self but evryone please leave me all the sugestions you can cause im really confused on what to do.. oh allmost forgot someone tryed to steal my expo today they drove it away then they stayed stuck without gass on the corner and left the 2 doors open and ran lucky i was broke and let the gass go below the E :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

modeltf8.jpg

intakeyw9.jpg

What was the question again? :confused: :D

We're going to need more photographs. I do not understand what you're.. what.. uhmmm.. what? :p

um i wanna make my shii faster :rolleyes: :fire: and i need help on a good muffler system :D i have searched around and the pvc intake looks interesting so i went and got evrything but i got like 2 connectors that go on to the trotle and none seam to fir on the trotle to connet the pvc :confused: but yeah thos thread is so people can help me out with low buget modifications and point me to the right places

When you're getting your new exhaust system don't go too big on the tubing. Bigger exhaust doesn't equal more power. You should keep it right around 2-2.25" depending on if you go single or dual exits.

Different members on this site have added nitrous, turbos, and superchargers to their SOHCs. Search around to get all kinds of ideas. :cool: Feel free to post more pics too. :p

well the muffler shop recomended me to put 2 muffler um what would u call it intakes? boxes whatever http://www.taperformance.com/_borders/Muffler.gif 2 of those things one one each pipe and run a end out to each side of the back for $470 im pretty shure it was mangaflow or something right now i have a flowmaster imitation mounted without cats 2 in 1 out with 2 out tip it sounded great i was soo happy with it till it messedup and um right now im like broke so i cant afod turbo and noz cause i spent too much as it is to keep the damn thing running ... but ill look into that in the future and pob will wind up puthing them but right now im looking for lowprofit stuff like maybe do it your elf tricks like taking out the header and making the holes bigger or osmething i heard that somewhere or buy a performance chip whatever i need all the sugestions posible

First of all your tranny wont last if your doin burnouts like that all the time. 2nd, you are getting fawked in the a$$ from that muffler shop. A gibson exhuast system is 250 bucks. All this 2 muffler here and there and O2 sensor in the way is bs. Go somewhere else. You need to leave the primary cats alone. The secondary, hell cut um off and weld in 2.25 piping.Then get a magnaflow or flowmaster series 40 muffler(just one), and have that welded in. It should be a dual in single out. As Section525 said, bigger is not always better. You need some backpressure, with out it your engine will lose power.

Another thing is a decent intake system. A from boost cold air, a mac intake whatever. A competer tune from bamachips will also help you enormously. Underdrive pulleys will help as well. Do these things and it will make you faster. You'll beat the corolla and tiburon, but an M3 or porsche or evo 8, c'mon chief, who are ya kiddin? Ive raced these cars and there is no way you can keep up with one of those.

Well good luck on your upgrades.

oy vie, type r

yeah well i do win m3s they arent that fast really.. maybe it has something to do with my trans? cuase i know the guy that did the trans works on race cars bu im not shure if it has anything speciall in it ... maybe i should take it to the dino and have it tested right now expo is acting up the moter chokes like say i go from 0 to 40 then i gotta release the pedel to let out backpreshure then keeo going well i dont got to do it but it goes way faster if i do im thinking that has something to do with my muffler :rolleyes: and the porsche well i know what im talking about i as only a car and a half behind him one i hit 115 now if he was going at full trotle ill never know but i know what i saw .. infact the tiburon won me by 7 cars and i never got to cache up[ cause some ass**** trew himself infront of me and breaked

and yeah i know its lame i put type r but no one wanted to race me and i noticed since i had that sticker people come up to me and race once i get a paint job done im going to take off all the stickers in the pics u cant see all the scraches but its all messedup casee people slam doors on the car wille its in the garage and my cats sleep all over it and scrach it up thats the main reason why i havent painted it cause it will just get messedup again

and um your saying i should get this? http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products.asp?pid=14297&make=25&model=663#663 in the picture that looks like its only one in wouldent i need a Y to put that on i want the meanst sounding one i can get ;) :D

You knopw, you should invest in a supercharger or turbo charger. There is a member here who has a turboed sohc, and i think he's making around 400hp, and it detuned.

As for the gibson, doesnt matter about sound or not. I would keep the truck the way it is. With a turbo or whatever and the other mods it would be one helluva sleeper.

SOHC's do not like duals, keep it single 2.5" outlet. Duals will slow u down, that shop is raping you.

Do intake (KKM is fine), exhaust, and get it tuned from Doug at Bamachips...youll love it

BTW that is one nice ASS.....truck?

thanx alot for evryones help i decided to not go duel and leave all the tubing i have on my exahust and just change the tank if anyone can link me to a good one that i can buy online and just have it welded on id be happy :D and about Doug at Bamachips... can i have a link to the bamachips website i know its somewhere on the forum but to save me some time oh and about the ass no comment ;)

Looks solid to me.

good looking! (The truck too.)

Shaun123 said:
thanx alot for evryones help i decided to not go duel and leave all the tubing i have on my exahust and just change the tank if anyone can link me to a good one that i can buy online and just have it welded on id be happy :D and about Doug at Bamachips... can i have a link to the bamachips website i know its somewhere on the forum but to save me some time oh and about the ass no comment ;)

BamaChips

Is that good enough for another picture? ;)

Power tip, change to an electric fan. The model 180 fan other have used is good. I'm working on a late Volvo fan(16") inside of the stock shroud. Nice young lady there, take good care of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back