• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer wont start

truryder2k

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Hello everyone

I have a 97 Explorer V6 4.0 SOHC
The problem I am having started the other day. I started my car, and nothing was happening, finally after a few tries it fired up, but today when I tried to start my car nothing happens. I hear a loud click when i try to start it, and that is all. The engine is not firing at all. I checked the batter and it is fine. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what might be causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Dennis

The "click" you describe is your starter drive engaging to the flywheel to turn it. Since the engine won't crank however, I'd have to say it HAS to be your battery. How did you check it? There can be corrosion anywhere on the battery, a short in the wiring, some sort of bad connection, or a bad plate in the battery itsself. Did you drop it or was it hit somehow?

Javey

Hi Dennis,
Mine is also 97 4.0L SOHC.
Do you have problem with your radio settings or clock settings lately. The settings got wiped out sporadically when I start the engine. It is a sign of a slowly dying battery, and could drop dead any moment.
I changed my battery yesterday and all is fine now.
Cheers..

Back