97 ford explorer 4.0 sohc vin E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 ford explorer 4.0 sohc vin E

knucklehead459

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
I recently put in a 2001 sport trac motor into my 97 ford explorer. just the long block. I used all my components.. I keep getting lean codes.P0171 and P0174..I have replaced so much stuff it is killing me..i did intake gasket, IAC, egr feedback sensor cleaned the maf did a fuel filter even took my buddies maf out of his explorer to try it. Still get the codes. Please help I need a smog..

thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone could help with this one it would be [MENTION=97]Kris Guilbeaux[/MENTION] or [MENTION=3335]Nice59F100[/mention] They've done a bunch of conversions.

Is the engine oil dipstick connected to the vacuum circuit?

Do you know what the production date was on the motor you got from the sport Trac? If you don't know, did the motor have plastic or metal valve covers

I had it diagnosed today and they are saying there is no voltage coming from the computer to any of the O2 sensors. The live data is reading -100 short and long term nothing on the O2 sensors. They are saying I need a new computer or get it flashed by dealer

Was this the orginal pcm that was in the truck before? And if you could give some details as to why the motor was replaced in the first place? Was there any drivability concerns with the old motor? I find it highly unlikely that the pcm would go bad after a motor swap the pcm was bad before the engine was swapped out

The motor had knocking bottom and top from running it low on oil. Is possible to need to flash the computer?? Yes original only thing new is the long block

I've never heard a pcm just losing the program for just the O2 sensors. Sounds like some thing isn't hooked up right or damaged connectors.

It could be several things but first I would check and make sure the 02 sensor wires aren't damaged and fully connected to the engine harness. When who over diagnosed it, did they say which bank and which sensor was unresponsive? (Bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2, bank 2 sensor 1, or bank 2 sensor 2)

It could be several things but first I would check and make sure the 02 sensor wires aren't damaged and fully connected to the engine harness. When who over diagnosed it, did they say which bank and which sensor was unresponsive? (Bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2, bank 2 sensor 1, or bank 2 sensor 2)

there are 3 of them i believe. also i noticed the temp gage doesnt move to much past the C

Back