• Register Today It's free!

97 mountaineer awd

obxmeeks

Reaction score
City, State
nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountaineer
so far the mechanic working on my truck, has changed 2 front tires, then replaced the seals in the front end twice and the bearings in my front tire passenger side, then he replaced the front end, then he took the front drive shaft out, and now he has replaced the rear end and u joints. my car still makes a dragging noise. tired of breaking down truck only has 100,000 miles on it. the truck is AWD mercury mountaineer 97 5.0 engine. oh and lower ball joints have been replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No offense to anyone, but you should find another mechanic, better yet in your case it would have been cheaper to take it to the Ford dealer.

Mine had a dragging noise, the culprit? Rubber flap splash shield was loose and would rub on the tire.

Bill

Well, for one thing the tires should all match perfectly on an AWD truck. The noise you hear could be an unhappy transfer case. You mention replacing just the 2 front tires. I would want the smaller ones up front .When the rears spin faster than the front the awd transfer case assumes the rears are spinning and will transfer drive to the front. . Also, you mention quite a bit of driveline attention-parts.

The tires need to be the same size and brand. All tires of the same size do not revolve the same amount per mile. ;)

Just 1/4" difference in treadwear from tire to tire is not a good thing.

"dragging noise" is so general its impossible to diagnose. Where is it coming from? You sure its from the front end, and not the transmission or transfer case? Does it vary with road speed or engine speed? Your model Mountaineer is generally a very reliable one with basic maintenance, don't give up on it.

Is it a "Dragging noise" or is it actually dragging in the corners? mine drags when I make tight corners, I am told to be aware of the viscous coupler in the transfer case as it likes to seize up and lock the front and rear axles together all the time instead of on an as needed basis (normal operation). I am told that this is a common problem on the 5.0L with AWD. Thoughts?

Back