'97 Mountaineer - totaled!

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
This is my son's '97 Mountaineer after someone pulled out in front of him this afternoon. He was going 55 mph. He walked away without a scratch. The roof is buckled at the back edge of the moonroof. Guess what he wants to replace it with? Yep, a similar Mountaineer or Explorer.
IMG_0106 (800x598) (800x598).jpg

IMG_0104 (800x598).jpg

This just happened a few hours ago, so we haven't been contacted by anyone yet - like the other guy's insurance co. Question is - now what? This was a beautiful rust-free 199,000 mile Mounty with same as new tires. They were put on in late July, but probably have less than 2000 miles on them. It has a "Seafoam Green" leather interior (that's not what Ford called it, but I've seen it called that here) with no rips or tears. The driver's seat just needs restitched at the corner seam. If it ends up at the right salvage yard, I can buy back the interior parts for less than the tow bill to get it home. My daughter's Sable was totaled a few months ago, and State Farm paid us $500 more than we had paid for it 6 weeks earlier and we kept the car since it was, and is, still drivable. I hope I can keep the tires and wheels as part of the settlement. Is that possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah a lot of times you can "buy back" from the insurance company.. or say they go hey the value is 3 grand so they write you a check for that but say you wanna keep the car they will say you can keep the car and well write you a check for 2500 or something..
then you can look for another similar one and swap over interior, tires etc..
they usually will let you keep it for scrap value..

That's what they did with my daughter's Sable. They offered $4200, or $3750 and the car. We had paid $3200 6 weeks earlier, and I thought I probably overpaid! Since she never stopped driving it, wanted to keep it, and it only had 114,000 miles on it, we took the $3750 and the car. I replaced the mirror, straightened out and cut away what I needed to to get a headlight back in it, and she's still driving it.

With the Mountaineer, all I really want is the tires and wheels, especially since he wants another Mounty or Ex.

When my moms civic got totaled she had replaced the transmission, and put new tires on it. She got extra added onto the settlement for it. Got twice what the car was worth.

Sorry about the mounty. But atleast your son is in good shape. If you end up parting it out send me a PM. I got the same interior and it's hard to find parts lol

Sorry about the mounty. But at least your son is in good shape. If you end up parting it out send me a PM. I got the same interior and it's hard to find parts lol

There's a '98 Mounty in the salvage yard here with darker green cloth seats, but I think the rest of the interior is gray. The exterior is identical to my son's. They had a twin to my son's a short time ago, but the interior wasn't in nearly as good condition.

There's a '98 Mounty in the salvage yard here with darker green cloth seats, but I think the rest of the interior is gray. The exterior is identical to my son's. They had a twin to my son's a short time ago, but the interior wasn't in nearly as good condition.

Yeah, most in the salvage yard have tan interiors. The few green are always disgusting. Moldy, torn apart, stained, and just useless for intieror parts. Never seen a twin to mine. Least not in yard. Green in and out :D

Seems to be more gray interiors here.

One problem with dragging it home and parting it out here is space. We already have the '01 and '02 Sport Tracs, a '96 Aerostar, an '02 Sable, and a 6x12 enclosed trailer, in and beside the driveway. We'd be in trouble for just that inside the city limits, but fortunately we're just outside the city limits on a 1 lane deadend street. Beside the garage is the rusty remains of my '74 Ranchero - bought new right out of high school and later hot-rodded - and in the back is a 5x8 utility trailer, the soon to be scrapped '94 Explorer, and the remains of another 4x8 flatbed trailer. The Ex, Ranchero, and old trailer could all go most anytime, and should, but still.

Just glad to hear your son did not get hurt!

Cars can be replaced.

Kids can't!

Just glad to hear your son did not get hurt!

Cars can be replaced.

Kids can't!

AMEN!!

He's 20, and doesn't tell anyone anything he doesn't have to. He called to say he needed to use one of my Sport Tracs. I asked what was wrong with his, and he said he had been in "a little bit of a car accident" with it. I asked how bad, and he said it was probably totaled. I told him later that next time he should lead with, "Dad, I'm fine, but I was in an accident and the car was totaled." Then ask to borrow my truck!

Boy!

I've heard that before. I used something along the same lines when I was his age.

We were both 20, a long time ago!

That Truck totally did its job and saved his life, gad to see everything is OK. You should be able to buyback the truck fro scrap value, take off what you need and scrap it yourself, and almost come out even.

I got my first, and possibly last, look at it today. My son never goes anywhere without a camera, including the chiropractor which is where he was going when this happened, so he took some good photos at the scene. I went to get any personal items out of it this afternoon. WOW, did he take a hit!! The engine isn't sitting square under the hood. Looking at the console, the floorpan seems twisted just a bit. The front of the radio around the buttons and CD opening is busted off the radio on one side, just from the impact and not because it got hit by anything.

Caleb is extremely blessed to walk away from this unhurt. He's just a little sore from the shoulder belt.

I'm not sure there's a lot I care to salvage from it other than the wheels and 3 tires, unless I replace it with something with a green leather interior. The 4.10 LS rear might be nice to keep, but not worth the hassle since I'll probably never need it. I wouldn't trust anything under the hood to be ok.

It's good to know that your son is okay, the straight on impacts are the least scary. The cars can take those better than side impacts.

You may find some other things to salvage if you got it home. I could use an electronic AC head unit if it has that, and instrument cluster etc(blue lighting).

Find a 98-01 if you can, they are enough better than 95-97 to be well worth it.

BTW, I too have an old Ranchero that needs TLC. Mine is a 73 that I got about 100 iles out of it before it blew, in 1988. I had installed the 72 Sport front end on it(cut and weld the frame snout), and 4L11 rear, plus the bucket seat interior of my first car, a 72 Gran Torino(console car). I need to fix that up soon. Regards,

BTW, I too have an old Ranchero that needs TLC. Mine is a 73 that I got about 100 iles out of it before it blew, in 1988. I had installed the 72 Sport front end on it(cut and weld the frame snout), and 4L11 rear, plus the bucket seat interior of my first car, a 72 Gran Torino(console car). I need to fix that up soon. Regards,

I ordered my '74 Ranchero with a 302 in the fall of '73. A year later, I added a cam, 4bbl, and headers. In '78, I had a .060 over 460 (472 cubic inches) built and 3.50 Traction Lock gears installed. Ran a 2x4 tunnel ram in 1980, then lucked into an extremely rare 429CJ 3x2 intake and ran that til the timing chain broke in '05. No $$, and it was too rusty to fix. The original 302 and 2.75 gears got 13.5 mpg. The built 460 and 3.50s got 12. Best mpgs were with the tunnel ram. At least 3 times the power, and tons more fun, at a cost of 1.5 mpg. I'll make that trade any day.

I always liked that '72 Torino Sport nose.

I ordered my '74 Ranchero with a 302 in the fall of '73. A year later, I added a cam, 4bbl, and headers. In '78, I had a .060 over 460 (472 cubic inches) built and 3.50 Traction Lock gears installed. Ran a 2x4 tunnel ram in 1980, then lucked into an extremely rare 429CJ 3x2 intake and ran that til the timing chain broke in '05. No $$, and it was too rusty to fix. The original 302 and 2.75 gears got 13.5 mpg. The built 460 and 3.50s got 12. Best mpgs were with the tunnel ram. At least 3 times the power, and tons more fun, at a cost of 1.5 mpg. I'll make that trade any day.

I always liked that '72 Torino Sport nose.

Ditto, I found two of those front ends at the same time. Hopefully not too much of it has rusted beyond saving. Mine had been a GT with 351C-4V, and a 302 was in it for me to get it for $350. I have the Cleveland parts to fix it, but somebody stole the rear bed trim and the C6 I had in the back. It will take some work, I just have too many other cars to sell first.

Find your son another high optioned V8 AWD Explorer/Mountaineer, they can last for ages. The rubber exterior parts are the obsolete stuff to hunt for the most. Regards,

Well, I got a call from the insurance co Friday. The guy said "we've determined your Mountaineer is worth $2224, + $111 tax, and $25 for the title transfer = $2360. We need you to sign some... ". I interrupted him and told him that's not nearly enough money. I had spent $530 for tires at the end of July, and another almost $600 a week later on front end work so they could align it, and it hasn't been driven much since then (1236 miles). I've got about $3150 in it, and the '97 Mountaineer I bought to replace it cost $3300. He backed off right away and said he was just filling in for the person actually handling the claim who was out of the office. He gave me her # and said to fax my receipts, and they'd take a another look. So I typed up a letter saying I know what the price guides say, and they're way off actual selling prices around here. I've been shopping for Explorers/Mountaineers for most of the last 15 months, and $2224 will get one with rust, high miles, and/or other issues. The wrecked one had high miles, but no rust and no issues. I faxed that off to them at the end of the day, so we'll see what they come back with. When my Bronco II was totaled, the ins co paid what I had paid for it, and most of what I had spent on tires and a new driveshaft, and I had owned and driven it for 2 1/2 years. I think those tires had a little over a year on them. I might accept their offer of $2360 + the $157 tow bill I had to pay to get personal items out, IF they let me have the tires and wheels too.

That sounds interesting. I believe that you did the right thing by suggesting it's worth more. Getting the tires and wheels would make it a good $500 higher value offer, I'd agree to that also. Good luck,

just before my daughter's boy friend totaled her PT Noozer, i'd installed a new water pump, thermostat, timing belt, new tensioner and idler pulley, new motor mounts and recharged the A/C system. it didn't mean squat to the insurance company. all they told me was that if i could find a couple of similar vehicles with a higher price/value, they'd give me more money. for this reason you've got to think about putting a lot more money into a vehicle than it's value. that begin said, if i blew the engine on my '01 EB i'd replace it because the truck is worth more to me (and i'm not talking about sentimental value). it's just a near perfect example.

just before my daughter's boy friend totaled her PT Noozer, i'd installed a new water pump, thermostat, timing belt, new tensioner and idler pulley, new motor mounts and recharged the A/C system. it didn't mean squat to the insurance company. all they told me was that if i could find a couple of similar vehicles with a higher price/value, they'd give me more money. for this reason you've got to think about putting a lot more money into a vehicle than it's value. that begin said, if i blew the engine on my '01 EB i'd replace it because the truck is worth more to me (and i'm not talking about sentimental value). it's just a near perfect example.

I understand some maintenance parts/work wouldn't be covered, but tires with 1200 miles on them certainly increase the value. When I talked to the adjuster who actually looked at it about the possibility of keeping the tires and wheels, he said he'd have to look at what I put on to replace them and re-evaluate it. One of the reasons I found a replacement vehicle so quickly (3 days later) was to have some leverage. The '97 Mountaineer I bought to replace it has 123,000 miles vs 198,000 on the wreck, but no options whereas the wrecked one had all the options. And the new one is 2 WD, not AWD. Both bodies are rust-free. The new one rates a little better because the clearcoat was coming off the hood of wrecked one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also didn't care for the guy's attitude Friday. He came across like "This is what we're going to pay you, and of course you're going to accept it." He did back off and referred me to the other person right away when I stopped him. Maybe there's a reason he was just filling in for someone else. I was not treated like that by anyone at State Farm when their client totaled my daughter's car last fall. In the case of my Bronco II, the other party and I both had Farm Bureau insurance, so that may have been a factor in the settlement as well. I'm dealing with Farmer's Insurance this time.

Back