'97 Mounty Keyless entry not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Mounty Keyless entry not working

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
My keyless entry stopped working all of the sudden. The keypad doesn't light up, nor does it do anything. The key fobs do not do anything either, though they do work at the parts store tester. I checked all the fuses that looked like they might be part of the keyless entry system, but nothing was blown. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks in advance.

I've had similar problems on occasion with my '98 Explorer XLT. I went back to the rear storage compartment on the left side (where the bottle jack is stashed) and pushed in on the wiring connectors on the electronic control box for the keyless entry that is located forward of the jack. Works perfectly after that for 6-9 mos. Then, have to do it again when it acts up. It was sheer chance that I thought to try this and, as they say, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while"! Worth a shot...

I've had similar problems on occasion with my '98 Explorer XLT. I went back to the rear storage compartment on the left side (where the bottle jack is stashed) and pushed in on the wiring connectors on the electronic control box for the keyless entry that is located forward of the jack. Works perfectly after that for 6-9 mos. Then, have to do it again when it acts up. It was sheer chance that I thought to try this and, as they say, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while"! Worth a shot...

Always try the simplest things first, thanks!

Follow up on this. It was the control box. I swapped in a used one and programmed my old code and my key fobs. All is well now.

Back