97 Sport.. cold in park, hot when I drive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Sport.. cold in park, hot when I drive.

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
Ok, so I start the truck and turn my knobs to max a/c and 3 or 4 on the fan speed knob, as well as the cycling from the compressor about 3 seconds apart are the rpm drops (guessing on and off). if I sit parked my truck will keep me nice and cool. But if I put it in drive and begin to drive with the a/c on I get maybe a few feet? and then I hear a slight thud (roughly from where the glove box is located) and instant heat comes from the vents. I want to add I did just replace the HVAC controls.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure, I don't have mani fold gauges, only a cheapo I got at auto zone.

You need to know the pressures to properly diagnose the problem(s).

Good luck ....

its the blend door in the dash shutting is the should you hear. maybe a vaccum check vavle is bad and when you start driving engine vaccum lowers and the blend door shuts. thats my guess. i dont know it the blend door is electirc or vaccum

AFAIK all 2nd Gens have electric blend doors. The recirculate/outside air door is vacuum controlled, but you'd still feel cold air.

It's possible you might need to add refrigerant, but, as said before, it's a guess unless we know your system pressure. You can get a set of manifold gauges at just about any auto parts store.

but most of the time i see problems it when idleing and works fine while driving. i think its another problem but that guess till you get gauge readings

Back