• Register Today It's free!

'97 XL inside door panel?!

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
I have a '97 Exploder XL 4-door, the rare base model with the 5speed manual tranny and the manual locks and crank windows (I love it!!) My problem is that my son in his roughhousing in the back seat with his hockey pals kicked out both of the door pulls on each inside rear door where they attach to the door panel. It busted up the little plastic anchor in each that the screw from the panel holds on to, and pulled some of the foam stuff out and etc.

So of course the Ford dealer doesnt carry any new parts for the door pull or the whole panel, and I havent been able to find anything to fix the issue in any local junk yards.. it being the rare Explorer with the crank windows and manual locks. Anyhow know where I can find something to fix these doors, either with whole new inner finish panels or just some new pull handles or? Any ideas are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 4 door with a manual 5 speed... that thing should be in a museum!!!

sometimes I wish I had a 5 speed behind my 302, but then I look at all the advantages of the automatic

is it even 4wd?

looking at the photo in the auction this explains the extra speaker openings in the rear door, normally the speaker is where your manual window lever is

Yup- its 4WD! It has a little more pep with the manual tranny too, and its more fun to drive (unless you are in city traffic ..)

There is a 4 door manual crank 5-speed Ex at the boneyard here...

...but it is a green interior (don't know what you have)

Gotta love hockey players. That was one heck of a roughhousing session!!

There is a 4 door manual crank 5-speed Ex at the boneyard here...

...but it is a green interior (don't know what you have)

Gotta love hockey players. That was one heck of a roughhousing session!!

Hockey players are crazy, especially when they get to be Bantam age.. dangerous!

On that Ex in your boneyard, mine has a grey interior so your green one wouldnt work for the panels. You wouldnt happen to have the plastic handle pull for the hood on your Ex in good shape? Mine is busted/missing and I could use a "new" one if you wanted to sell..

Can't say I do. I could probably grab one from the junkyard for ya, do you just need the handle assembly?

One of the vendors here (kbabiak or ped5stang, etc., look in the parts for sale stickys...) may have one already off and ready to go, it might be a few weekd before I get back to the junkyard to see what I could scare up for ya...

Bantams- yes... Good luck to your Explorer with this season, only a few months to go... It's got a fighting chance I suppose. :D

yeah, I just need the plastic pull handle for the cable that unlocks the hood. Not a big deal, but if you get your hands on one, let me know and I can buy it and take it off your hands.

As for taking the Bantams to hockey, I have been using my '06 Ex to get them there a lot this winter. (the '06 is a great truck, but the '97 has a lot of sentimental value and its hard to get rid of! I have been toying with the idea of selling the '06 to get rid of my car payment and just use my '97.. kinda scary with the maint upkeep, but might save money that way...)

a 4 door with a manual 5 speed... that thing should be in a museum!!!

One of my co-workers has a 4 door XLS with a 5 speed. It is for sale too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a '97 Exploder XL 4-door with fulltime awd 4.0 e.f.i with 5-speed automatic carfax said i have a 4.0 sfi sohc

Back