'98 3.0 & bubbles !

BamaPanda

Reaction score
City, State
Talladega County, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Ranger; 3.0; 195K
Bubbles in the reservoir tank, that is.
I just need to know if I have a problem or not, please.

To this point I have replaced radiator and cap, t-stat, water pump and heater valve.

I was having some real problems keeping coolant in, but now I am thinking it was mainly due to an air pocket in the top of the motor. Any insight here would be great too.

The truck now seems to do fine, loses no coolant, temp stays constant in the middle.
After a fair drive, though - the radiator cap will allow bubbles and some pressure to come through to the reservoir. Level does not go up like it is taking on coolant ..just bubbles and some pressure.

Is this indicative of a bad head gasket?

Thanks for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long have you had the bubbles?

Keep your overflow level at the full line and if it keeps bubbling check your hoses for cracks.

A blown head gasket you will have coolant in your oil, wouldn't hurt to do an oil change.

Bubbles

How long have you had the bubbles?

Keep your overflow level at the full line and if it keeps bubbling check your hoses for cracks.

A blown head gasket you will have coolant in your oil, wouldn't hurt to do an oil change.

I have known of them for about 6 months, but the thing I am not sure of ..is it normal ...or tolerable, meaning is it something I can live with.

There is no water in the oil, and no loss of water through hose cracks or anything of the sort.

Motor runs great ...just burps bubbles into the reservoir after it gets to operating temp.

Thanks for this reply, and hopefully even more!

I have read that it is really imporetant to make sure there is no air trapped in the 3.0 when changing the coolant, so I am wondering if some of this might be due to trapped air.???

Thanks for this reply, and hopefully even more!

Not burnining it or leaking it in the oil or on the ground. Weird. Seems to me like the air has to come from somewhere. If your sure theres no cracks in the lines then I guess I wouldnt worry about it.

One thing that can happen though is if the leak is above a hot part of the engine (mainly exhaust or hot spot on the block) Then the coolant can evaporate when it hits it if there is a leak. Then it wouldnt drip on the ground.

If your coolant level doesnt change then I guess dont worry about it. Just weird that air can get in but water cant get out...

If it is trapped air it probably would have stopped after running it for 6 months.

It may yet stop.

Actually since I done a change of coolant about 2 months back, it has done it continually. Shortly after I did the coolant change, the reservoir was sucked pretty dry - but it did go back into the motor - not on the ground.

Since I brought the reservoir back up to mid-point, it has held steady ...just the burping bubbles from somewhere in the motor, through the cap, to the reservoir.

Maybe someone else reading this will have a hint of what is going on.

Thanks for all the help.

No problem.

Home its all figured out.

Back