98 5.0 explorer radiator removal?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 explorer radiator removal?!?

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
so i'm working on a '98 5.0 explorer.. replacing the water pump (its making a terrible whining noise..at least i *think* its coming from the water pump) and i know i have to get some kind of special tool to get the fan clutch off.. but how the heck do i get the radiator out without removing the a/c (and thus discharging it) i read online that i could slide it over.. but i cant get it to go.. whats the trick here, am i missing something? it seems to be a terrible design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I am missing something.. why do you need to get the radiator out? I just removed the serpentine belt, fan and the fan shroud and I think it was the power steeering or was it the ac pump?
As for that whine, you sure it isnt the electric clutch on your AC compressor?
Ps: keep track of what bolt goes where in that waterpump. Just a heads up. It is confusing if you do not pay attention. (I didn't..can ya tell?)

i'm starting to think its going to get put back together, and ignored until the sound becomes a problem. (its a fleet vehicle at my work, so i just have to maintain them... which is why i wanted to eliminate the sound)

You can get the radiator out without removing / discharging the a/c. You have to remove all the fasteners, and the radiator has to slide toward the drivers side as there is horizontal clips that hold the a/c condenser and the radiator together. I had a friend push the condenser towards the passenger side as i pulled the radiator toward the drivers side. Do a google search on "explorer 5.0 radiator removal" there's a step by step there. Its a PITA and tight, but i did it the other week. It will give you more room to work. Good luck...........

Ughh removing radiator on a 5.0 is one of the biggest pains in the *****, ever. Problem is even when moving lines out of the way and tying away like I did it still gets caught on anything. Def a 2 person job, I did it by myself and was ready to light the truck on fire.

Quick trick that isn't mentioned in manuals, there's a few clips like on the driver side that even after unbolting people miss a lot. Hard to reach too, had a tough time. I think I had some pics on a thread on here I did if you search.

edit here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230262 , you can remove without removing the fan, if you need to remove the fan after for whatever work usually Advance Auto has teh fan clutch tools you can rent

To get the fan/clutch assembly off you either rent the tools or buy a set of your own... It's a pair of two huge wrenches... if you search it up you'll find some answers....

if you can get lucky (LIKE ME) you can get a cresent wrench on that fan nut then use a pry device or a wrench and hold it on the fan to water pump bolts and then start cranking... using the holding/prying method on it worked great for me... yeah the radiator has those slide clips that attach to the damn bracket thats apart of the a/c condensor.. its easy as hell once you understand how it works.. I did it like 3 to 4 times when I installed my new motor. good luck

Are you sure it's not the idler pulley?

You may want to get some mechanic's stethescopes to further isolate the noise.

On the radiator, I remember pulling it toward the engine on the passenger side first to release the clip on the passenger side, then sliding it to the driver side to release the driver side clips.

I 2nd the stethescope method. Better than replacing parts til the problem disappears method, which can get pricey if you guess wrong. Usually, the water pumps on 5.0's will leak first. There's a weep hole on the bottom.

I'm going to kick the person in the nuts that decided that 3 differently designed clips should connect the condenser to the radiator. Just bolt the ####ers together.

I'm going to kick the person in the nuts that decided that 3 differently designed clips should connect the condenser to the radiator. Just bolt the ####ers together.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :D

I feel the same way about a few of Fords designs that I have run into lately. Like the genius that designed the brake resevoir location and the caliper mounting bracket on the Ford Edge. Brilliant :rolleyes:

The only thing that guy has on Joe Dirt.. is a cameraman.

Wait 'till you see my multi-angle repair videos coming soon... :D

I replaced a 98 5.0 radiator in 2010, and started the same job tonight on another 98 5.0. The biggest pain in separating the radiator from the A/C condenser. Otherwise, it's just a time consuming job. I'm replacing idler pulleys and tensioner pulleys because they're a little noisey. Also replacing upper and lower hoses and bypass hose. Thinking of replacing the fan clutch too. Water pump was replaced last year.

Back