98 exp. 4.0 4wd trans questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 exp. 4.0 4wd trans questions

It really wasnt as scary as I expected it to be. All of my bushings and seals look excellent so I dont plan to have to do anything that needs a press to put back in. All in all, had I had the parts here I could have torn it down and rebuilt it easily in a day. The shops that charge $2000-$2500 for this job are ####ing organized crime.

The shop I asked about repairing this trans said at least $1000 just to replace the reverse band even if I brought them the transmission. I intend to drive into that shop when this is done and show the owner that transmission repairs are not pixie dust and magic rings. Anyone with half a brain and a manual can do this. The rebuild on this will cost me less than $200 total.

hmmmm. well i have a trans sitting outside with no reverse, and another one that has reverse but slipped. your now making me want to rip the to apart and experiment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ragga, everything looks fantastic actually. I dont see signs of wear anywhere. If I didnt know better I would say this trans was a low mile replacement, but to my knowledge its got 300K miles.

Vroom, do it. The actual teardown could have been done in just a couple hours even being careful had I been in one before. Now that Ive taken it apart I could do it again very quickly. Since this transmission shifted fine and only had a properly diagnosed broken reverse band, I didnt expect to find damage anywhere else, so I spent more time identifying everything for right side up. Also, after ever couple of steps I would put things back together again just to be sure I knew in my mind how it went. I suspect reassembly should go smoothly.

Cool....yeah it looks very clean if it's got that kind of miles!

Glad everything is going well! It looks like you've got it organized well, and sounds like you got familiarized no prob... glad it's going well!

Well my parts arrived today. Am I crazy for thinking its sad that my parts cost less than the fluid to refill the transmission?

I went ahead and took apart the transfer case as well since I had it out, and it looks spectacular as well. The only think is question was that it had almost no fluid in it and everything had kind of a sticky film on it instead of being clean like the tranny was. The rear seal looks like it was leaking so Im guessing the P.O. never had the fluid checked. Im cleaning everything and reinstalling it all as is with new fluid and the only thing Im changing is the external seals. I just cant find anything obviously wrong with it otherwise.

It also looks like maybe my front half shafts have leaked a bit and look pretty greasy outside the boots despite the fact that I cnt find a boot leak. I'll probably get this thing rolling again and go ahead and change the half shafts just for peace of mind.

Reassembly on the trans starts tomorrow. I might even provide some pics!

It's crazy how much atf has gone up isnt it?... Sounds like you are moving forward in a solid fashion....Glad you got your parts!

The problem and the solution:
206035_194820297224029_100000881806029_445111_6951720_n.jpg

and fast forward to a few hours later:
188610_194820323890693_100000881806029_445112_1620521_n.jpg

During the install I discovered one really serious issue. If you drop a torque converter to flex plate nut into the bellhousing, much cursing will ensue while you attempt to fish it out. I used my Jedi skills and managed to remove it, but I was not happy about it.

Tomorrows plan is to clean and flush the transfer case and install that. I know I have a leaking seal and have ordered a seal kit, but Im going to put it back and test without waiting for that. The T/C wasnt that hard to drop in the first place so it wont be a big deal to drop it for a seal kit.

May want to flush cooler also.... Although everything looked so clean on yours it may not be necessary ?

I didnt flush the torque converter either, so doing the cooler I think is a little pointless at this stage. My fluid looked pretty good. Im doing this on a fairly tight budget and with 300K miles on the truck Im not expecting everything to be brand new. I just need it to be serviceable.

so the transmission made it back in, everything got buttoned up nice and tight and so far so good. It seems to be operating perfectly. I did have an O/D off flashing light come on during the first time I made it up to speed, then that went away and everything seems normal. My code reader doesnt read trans codes so I think Im just going to reset the computer and try again tomorrow and see if it throws a code.

I still have an issue with 4WD making some harsh clunking noises but now I sure they are up front and not the T/C so I will likely be tearing into the front end soon on this, At least I can drive it as is for now.

Took the truck for a nice ling drive today, NO code, shifted perfectly. I isolated the clunking to the driver side front halfshaft so I went ahead and ordered both and will de them at the same time.

I consider the transmission job done and a success. Total investment, under $200.

A couple thousand miles later this is still holding up great. I didnt do any of the upgrades people suggested and even the gaskets are not the new bonded ones, but I dont drive my truck hard at all and its been all over Oregon this spring already and working perfectly.

I encourage anyone with a similiar issue to dive in and do this. These transmissions are really not that difficult to repair.

Did you resolve the clunking noise with the 4wd?

yes, it was a badly stretched chain in the transfer case. It really sounded like it was coming from the front end, and I almost replaced the front halfshafts and then considered the driveshaft, but I got a good deal on a transfer case and put that in, problem solved.

I think I have the same problem, when I select.4x4 mode it accelarates.fine but when I start to brake I hear a winding noise sometimes a clunk, and also if I turn the steering wheel all the way it tries to move but. It.feels like just the rear wheels are moving in other words like front locks up.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

That doesnt sound like the same thing at all.

My clunk was ONLY under power, with no associated whine. Your problem sounds more like something in the front end, maybe a bad CV or even a wheel bearing. GL

hi mate am about to attempt this task myself, same problem, its the 5 speed auto got the broken part here with me, was hoping its the valve body gasket, but nope its this problem, am keen to get into it and do it myself, as people are trying to charge me 3500 and up, i think the best i found was 2500, but i think i will attempt it, any tips would be appreciated sir if u can help, words of wisdom are good, especially as i find myself to be a very unorganized person, and maybe will misplace something, or find i have a part left over when done lol, thank you, am about to feel how it is to rebuild one of these soon.

hi mate am about to attempt this task myself, same problem, its the 5 speed auto got the broken part here with me, was hoping its the valve body gasket, but nope its this problem, am keen to get into it and do it myself, as people are trying to charge me 3500 and up, i think the best i found was 2500, but i think i will attempt it, any tips would be appreciated sir if u can help, words of wisdom are good, especially as i find myself to be a very unorganized person, and maybe will misplace something, or find i have a part left over when done lol, thank you, am about to feel how it is to rebuild one of these soon.

Howdy folks, another newbie here. I have a 98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC, 104k miles on it. I have owned it for a month, but I have also owned a 98 Ranger XLT for 11 years, with 245k on it. I've owned the Ranger since it had only 50k on it, and it has been great, which is why I bought the Explorer.

My Exploder has the "auto" 4WD 5 speed transmission. When I put it in 4WD, it goes fine if I go straight, but when turning in either direction, the front end makes a clunking sound. The sound is repetitive, and it's obviously something turning and hitting something else, because the sound is "clunk-clunk-clunk" every time the wheels go around to a certain position. Going back to 2WD makes the clunking stop.

I'm sure others have had this problem and solved it, but it's new for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Muchas gracias! :D

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back