98 Explorer runs out of gas even though the guage shows that it has gas. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer runs out of gas even though the guage shows that it has gas.

One thing that may affect the fuel gauge, and certainly DOES affect starting, is if you park on a hill. Make sure the front of the truck is uphill. We have loooong gas tanks and obviously the fuel goes to the low side. And yes, I had 1/8 tank showing when I ran out of gas in town. 6 blocks from the gas station I was heading for. Now I never let it get below 1/2 a tank. I simply use the trip meter to see how long I've been running on X amount of gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also could be the contacts on the fuel pump float that tell how much fuel left, or that the gage itself doesnt go to the "bottom" when its outta gas

Ok well this is what happens.

My truck died on me one day and the gauge showed 1/4 a tank. Had it towed home and just for kicks I put gas in it. Ran fine. I decided to fill it up every time it showed 1/4 tank. Problem is when I filled it up I only put in 15 gallons and it was full. (its a 21 gallon gas tank)

Same thing happened today. It died on the highway showing half full. I put gas in and it took 9 gallons this time and it would take anymore. Ran fine again

Anyone know what this problem is or is most likely to be??
Fuel filter needs to be changed.
If that isn't it then someone put something in your gas tank like sand, water, eggs, or oil or diesel.
In any case you would need a mechanic to check it out.

Fuel filter needs to be changed.
If that isn't it then someone put something in your gas tank like sand, water, eggs, or oil or diesel.
In any case you would need a mechanic to check it out.
How, exactly would adding any of those things make it run out of gas at a certain point, but be totally fine above it?

I think you have a failing pump, I don’t think someone did something nefarious.

How, exactly would adding any of those things make it run out of gas at a certain point, but be totally fine above it?

I think you have a failing pump, I don’t think someone did something nefarious.
the only way i could see that to be true is when there is less fuel the pump sucks egg shell up 🤣 🤣 🤣 and then with more gas the egg rises above pump level and no more egg🤣

the only way i could see that to be true is when there is less fuel the pump sucks egg shell up 🤣 🤣 🤣 and then with more gas the egg rises above pump level and no more egg🤣
Egg goes through the system and clogs everything up when heated and cooked.

That would clog it and be done. Not run after several fill ups.

Something wonky going on in that tank. Likely a failing pump, as mentioned. Looking at your fuel trims should help tell a story. If the filter hasn’t been changed in 30k or more, I’d change it before doing anything. They should be changed regularly regardless, and they’re cheap.

I’d drop the tank and install a new QUALITY pump (probably due for one anyway) and clean the inside out while you’re in there.

Of course, simple **** first. No visible damage to the tank, right? I had a buddy who hit a rock and it dented his tank right there the pickup was. Had all sorts of issues when he got low on fuel.

One thing that may affect the fuel gauge, and certainly DOES affect starting, is if you park on a hill. Make sure the front of the truck is uphill. We have loooong gas tanks and obviously the fuel goes to the low side. And yes, I had 1/8 tank showing when I ran out of gas in town. 6 blocks from the gas station I was heading for. Now I never let it get below 1/2 a tank. I simply use the trip meter to see how long I've been running on X amount of gas.
Same. Mine was parked down nose the driveway. Still had 4 gallons left. But wouldn’t start. Never again ☺️

Something wonky going on in that tank. Likely a failing pump, as mentioned. Looking at your fuel trims should help tell a story. If the filter hasn’t been changed in 30k or more, I’d change it before doing anything. They should be changed regularly regardless, and they’re cheap.

I’d drop the tank and install a new QUALITY pump (probably due for one anyway) and clean the inside out while you’re in there.

Of course, simple **** first. No visible damage to the tank, right? I had a buddy who hit a rock and it dented his tank right there the pickup was. Had all sorts of issues when he got low on fuel.
What would you wash it with? I’ve only ever done acid in metal bike tanks before creaming.

Just fresh gas or another non-polar solvent. Not so much to “wash” it but to use to swish around and get the particulate matter out of the bottom. Old filler necks and just years of life accumulate crap…or at least that happened in my tank.

When I did my tank, I used a 5gal can of gas. Poured a bunch in, swished it around to suspend the particles, and dumped it into a bucket. Then used a filter to separate the **** out and put the filtered gas into my lawnmower gas can. Kept doing it until the gas was coming out of the tank without particulate.

Back