98 Explorer runs out of gas even though the guage shows that it has gas. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer runs out of gas even though the guage shows that it has gas.

Bollockz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8
Ok well this is what happens.

My truck died on me one day and the gauge showed 1/4 a tank. Had it towed home and just for kicks I put gas in it. Ran fine. I decided to fill it up every time it showed 1/4 tank. Problem is when I filled it up I only put in 15 gallons and it was full. (its a 21 gallon gas tank)

Same thing happened today. It died on the highway showing half full. I put gas in and it took 9 gallons this time and it would take anymore. Ran fine again

Anyone know what this problem is or is most likely to be??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does that mean I need to replace the fuel pump? Or is something else possibly causing it?

hmm not sure, i could be wrong about the pump, that was just a guess since it seems strange that there is suddenly no fuel delivery, it could be anything else in the system though.

anyone else have thoughts on this problem?

Ya, I have no idea. I just would like to know what i'm looking for or what it is most likely to be before I tear it all apart. I'm sort of lazy and if I tear it apart and don't have a plan ill never get it back together.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thank you in advance

cobra46

Just some thoughts here about your 98 Explorer running out of gas. Have you tried letting it set for a while and then try to start it with out putting gas in it? If so, will it start? Have you checked the fuel filter? If not, it could be clogged and causing the fuel pump to overheat and shut down. If the filter is good and it doesn't start after a cool down period try crawling under the vehicle, if it's safe to do so, and hit the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber hammer or your fist wrapped in a rag, a few times while someone cranks the engine, if it starts you are due for a fuel pump, if it doesn't start you probably ought take it to a mechanic for diagnostics as you may have a problem with electrical system.

Well I did sort of let it sit for a while, If you count the 30 minutes I waited while stuck in the Arby's parking lot. Still didn't turn over. I didn't try it today as I was able to coast (from 70mph) 1.5 miles to a gas station.

Is the fuel pump/filter at the tank or near the engine?

Cool, I suppose I can check the filter easy enough. Ill check that tomorrow when its light out and let ya know what I find

Was this ever resolved? My 98 X is having the identical problem...

Ya me and my dad replaced my fuel pump a few weeks back. Ever since I am getting a CE light and my fuel gauge is innaccurate, Ive run out of gas when it showed me at 1/4 tank

simple fix for inaccurate fuel gauge: replace the gas cap

simple fix for inaccurate fuel gauge: replace the gas cap

Can someone elaborate on this for me please? I have the dreaded inaccurate fuel gauge as well...The other day I showed dead empty and went to fill and it only took 15 gallons....How would replacing the gas cap repair an inaccurate gas gauge, or am I totally missing some irony in his post? Thanks!

Phil

i wasnt joking. i had an inaccurate gas gauge. it would start the car and the needle would dive, then rebound, then dive, etc it was all over the place slowly bouncing from near empty to near full throughout the day.

i replaced the cap, and it immediately stopped. the fuel system is under about 3 lbs of pressure. if the pressure is off (cap leaks), it somehow effects the gauge. i assume the pressure affects the resistance of the float, but i dont know the exact science.

it's less than $10 and takes 30 seconds. if it works great, and if it doesnt return the gas cap.

Hmmm....I didn't realize there was that much pressure in the system. I like your fix, but don't think it applies to my situation unfortunately. Mine stays level except when I'm parked on a hill and then it goes way up, but always settles back down. It tends to stay really close to the Full line for a long time then drop pretty rapidly to 1/4 and then almost right to Empty, even though there's really ~5 gallons of fuel left.

Phil

I have a 99' with the SOHC and have the same problem with an inaccurate gas gauge. I went onto the Ford website to buy a new one but they have like 5 different gas caps. I have no clue which one is the right one.

Ok well this is what happens.

My truck died on me one day and the gauge showed 1/4 a tank. Had it towed home and just for kicks I put gas in it. Ran fine. I decided to fill it up every time it showed 1/4 tank. Problem is when I filled it up I only put in 15 gallons and it was full. (its a 21 gallon gas tank)

Same thing happened today. It died on the highway showing half full. I put gas in and it took 9 gallons this time and it would take anymore. Ran fine again

Anyone know what this problem is or is most likely to be??
Diagnosing anything online is a hit or miss proposition, but I might hazard a guess that your fuel level sender in the tank is malfunctioning.
It's basically a float hooked to a rheostat that sends a voltage signal to your fuel gauge. It's not uncommon for them to fail.
Bad news is it requires dropping the tank to get to the sender, and I'm not sure about your particular model but in some cases the sender is a part of the fuel pump assembly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an FYI on a dead threat, your gas cap being bad will have zero effect on your fuel gauge. It’s a float. 3 psi will have zero effect.

Back