98 Explorer with a flashing overdrive light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer with a flashing overdrive light.

marcsammo

Reaction score
City, State
hawthorne fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
Hello everyone. I own a repair shop for 27 years, worked on japanesse cars the first 24 years, 98 explorer overdrive light flashing will not go in overdrive. 4.0. Any help please

thank you marcsammo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. The flashing overdrive light represents a code which is stored. Do you you have an OBD-II scanner capable of reading manufacturer specific transmission codes in your shop?

It's in safe mode. Short term, you should read the codes. You can usually reset to normal mode by disconncecting your battery for a few minutes, but be wary of doing that too often and without diagnosing the code. Mine does it because of coolant temp sensor, I think.

i was having o prob with the OD light flashing and spedo not working after a long ride then stoping and going it waswthe vss in the transfer case easy fix and cheap well some what any way

My O/D light started flashing and I kept driving it and about a week later I was sitting on the side of the road broke down and $2,200 dollars and a new Transmission later I wish I had gotten it checked instead of driving it with the light flashing :(

Back