• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer

moreno210

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
morning rough idle,after it warms up it seems fine, Auto Zone said code po174 and now the check engine light turned off by itself ,I need help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a similar problem

Does your Ex stall when you crank it in the morning and give a huge start up flare (about 2500 - 3000 RPM)? Does it get worse when the outside temperature drops?

I've had a similar problem with my '98 XLT and posted about it a while ago (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265806). I've had a lot of valuable input from forum members.

In my case it turned out to be the upper and lower gaskets of the air intake manifold... If the gaskets go bad they don't properly seal up anymore. This means there's a vacuum leak. When the engine warms up the components expand a bit and the problem is considerably less.

I decided to replace the gaskets myself (supervised by my friend, a mechanic). It cost me a whole day, but I'm sure a skilled professional could do it in a few hours. The gaskets are about $ 15.00.

After I replaced the gaskets the engine ran a lot smoother, I had no more idle or startup issues and my MPG improved about 10 - 15%!

welcome

Back