97 Explorer Running Rough | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Running Rough

Reaction score
A few days ago my truck started running really rough. Almost like its missing. While driving on the highway the Check Engine Light will flash on and off. THe check engine light has been on for some time now I believe due to a O2 sensor. After hooking up to a code reader.

PO141
PO174

I did pull apart the air box tube and cleaned the sensor in there.

Why is the light flashing? Will an O2 sensor cause it to run rough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tonight I am going to clean the IAC and see if that solves my problem. I betting not after doing some reading seems this only effect cold engines. Mine runs rough regardless of warm or cold. Also going to check for vacuum leaks. Is starter fluid the best way to do this? What else should I check? I don’t have the cash to pay someone to do this but I can fix things with the right direction.

My 97 has run rough on a couple occasions, both were chalked up to a plug wire touching a header. Which in turn melted the wire almost clear through, so no spark on one cylinder. This might not be the case in your situation, but i would def check.

So after cleaning the IAC it runs better. Still not great. But a new problem developed. After I cleaned the IAC the truck Howls and doesnt stop. Regardless of pushing on the gas pedal.

Usually even if you clean the IAC, it will only fix it for a short amount of time. Once they go bad, they go but cleaing them can give you an idea where your problem is.
I believe my IAC is also bad. It doesn't run rough all the time but just at start up, once I am in drive and am out of my neighborhood it idles just fine.

The difference between prices of the IAC for OHV and DOHC was kind of steep though, under $100 for the OHV but well over $100 for my SOHC...of course.

Back