98 Fog Wiring Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Fog Wiring Question

I know this wiring stuffs been beat to death, but I couldnt find the answer to this one..

My 98 sport (2x4) did NOT come with fogs. I bought the air damn and factory fogs on here. I got the wiring harness from the fig light to the engine bay, but there is no harness there. Basically there apparently is not a wire set coming out of the relay box for the fog lights.

I bought the radio bezel from an X that did have fog lights. The wiring for the button was there, and it lights up with the markers/headlights.

My question is if I buy some Pilot lights to go in the factory place, it comes with a relay..can I make it work with the factory switch?

As you might guess I'm not real good with all this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you get pilot lights, you can use the factory switch. However, what I'd do is run 2 (or 3 to power the light) wires directly from the factory switch to signal the Pilot relay, bypassing most of the factory wiring. If you wire the Pilots to be switched by stock wiring under the hood, you will be limited to using your new fogs only when the low beams are on.

Thats what I thought, and I knew about the restrictions there... So can I just splice the wires I need in the engine compartment BEFORE the relay? or would it have to be done at the switch and somehow route all the wires out?

I think it would be better to just totally rewire the switch. You'll probably need 3 wires: power for light, power for signal, and signal lead to relay. If you can find a spot to tap the 2 power wires, you'll just need to route 1 under the hood to the relay.

Any idea where I could find a wiring diagram for that switch?

I have a wiring book somewhere, but it's in my outdoor storage and a cold front just came in. When I have a little time I can look for it on Saturday.

Sounds good, thanks alot man. Goin to a buddies tomorrow if I can find the fogs around here. Hes pretty good with electrical shiat..hopefully we'll get it knocked out!

Back