light wiring question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

light wiring question.

I am thinking about getting a aftermarket fog light kit that has the fog lights and driving lights as one lamp. Well the wiring harness already is wired up with relays. My question is how can I wire this up to come on with my head lights AND to a switch so that I can turn the lights on when the headlights are off? The harness has a yellow constant wire, 2 grounds, then one switched power source wire to hook up. Is it even possible to do what I want to do with a setup like this? I would like to use the switch that come with the kit to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not sure of the exact hookup up but you should be able to wire the lights to the headlights and use the switch to shut them of when the headlights are on but you wont be able to turn on the lights without turning on the headlights.

even if i used a 3 way switch? but that would mean not using the switch with the kit

you could with a three way switch but i dont know the specifics on wiring or the availability of a 2-way swithc

What I have done in the past with dual beam lights the kit had two relays. I spliced the driving light relay ON wire directly into the high beams. No other switch used. When the high beams are ON so is the driving light.
The fog light was wired into the parking lights so it could be on anytime the lights were on.
What kind of kit is this? Brand.?
As for the 3 way switch. You could splice into a switched wire that is hot when the key is on and for the other side ON you splice into the lights . The three way switch then feeds the power source wire on the kits harness.

its an APC kit. its not super fancy but good for my budget. They ok almost exactly like the kit BBQ_hotdogs has on his truck.

Do you have two relays? Do you want the driving lights on other than just w/high beams?

Back