98 ford explorer eddie bauer pcm issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 ford explorer eddie bauer pcm issues

joshtyk

Reaction score
City, State
minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eddie bauer 4.0 sohc
hi im new to this site and need help wit my 98 ford explorer 4.0 sohc.
my truck wont start cranks fine sounds like it wants to fire but does no.
i got a pcm from a junkyard and hooked it up it starts for a couple seconds and dies. then when i hookup the old pcm it fires right up and runs the whole day any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new PCM needs to be programmed by Ford to be used in your vehicle. Take your X and the new PCM to ford and have them flash it. iirc its only like $60 for the flash.

The pats system is the cause, you need to reprogram the keys to new pcm and have a parameter reset done at the dealer..

thanks for the advice look like im heading to ford

am I missing something.... just run with the old one that was in the truck and you reported that it now runs "all day".... ?????

no check engine light or any other error lights or codes. now here is the confusing part the computer that came with the truck wont start the truck unless i hook up the new computer. Then the truck starts up for 2 seconds then dies. but when i un hook the computer i bought and re hook up the computer that came with the truck it starts up without a problem.

not really confusing... you say the truck runs with the old module BUT eventually it won't start... hours, days later... maybe. you need to find out what is happening. Lots of posts on no start conditions... check fuel, spark, and go from there WHEN the condition happens.

i have already replaced the plugs and wires it getting spark fuel pressure is fine
i have replaced everything to the manifold gaskets o-rings to the upper and lower manifold gaskets i dont know what more to do im thinking about sending it to the junk yard i love this truck i swear by ford explorers but this problem got me stuck

history & symptoms

Are you saying that you had problems starting your engine even after replacing the spark plugs, wires and manifold gaskets so you decided to try another PCM from the salvage yard? The engine probably runs for two seconds on the residual fuel pressure from when the original PCM was connected.

Do you have PATS and if so did you get the salvage yard PCM programmed for your keys as suggested in an earlier post? If you have PATS the salvage yard PCM will not allow the engine to run until the PCM is programmed.

Is your engine stock? If not, what modifications have been performed?

If your engine will start and run (but unreliably) with the original PCM then I doubt you have a PCM problem. You will receive better help from forum members if you describe the no-start symptoms. Does it happen at cold start or warm start? If the engine starts does it run normally? Do you have spark and good fuel pressure when the engine doesn't start? You may want to review this thread for some ideas: Engine No Start Procedure

You might also try cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner and checking the camshaft position sensor.

Back